The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to these forums but i have been lurking for a week or two now :redface:.
I have been keeping small fish (cardinal tetras, golden tetras, guppies, ect.) for a couple years now and have wanted to do a big planted tank for a long time. Well, i finally got the courage together to buy a 125gal off craigslist and am very, very excited. Ive been researching everything like crazy because i want to get it right the first time. Im building my own wet/dry filter in the sump, resealing the tank (pretty much totally rebuilding it) and mapping out my planting plan along with info and compatibilies so i can double check myself. A bit overboard? lol maybe but im a huge nerd anyways so its ok. My problem is this...

The last couple days I have done lots of research (internet research anyways) on dwarf gouramis but I feel like i see contradicting information on every site. I know that there can be some variation due to indivdual temprament but i am just confused at this point. I see that dwarf gouramis are "peaceful" and see videos and photos of them schooling but i also read that they are very aggressive towards each other and cant be kept in groups. I had mostly convinced myself today that i should have only 1 or 2 gourami if at all but then i found a forum post(not this forum i dont believe) of someone saying they were going to get 6 gouramis for their 75gal and everyone seemed to think it would be great. I felt like my head was going to explode.I want to do what is best for the fish. I would like to have several gouramis but I cant tell if that is feasible or not.

Funny enough, as i was getting more and more confused i was also looking at alternatives and had decided rainbows would be great if i couldnt do gouramis. I thought they could be kept together until i read some info saying you shouldnt have several different kinds of rainbows, only one or 2 species max.:confused1:

I feel like this should be a very simple question so i am a bit embarassed i cant find an answer myself. I would really appreciate any feed back on this even thou i wont be buying fish for awhile id still like to be able to have a complete plan. Thanks guys :fish:

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive heard you can keep sparkling gouramis in like a school. rainbows are great :) they are a mid tank fish and really like to swim and are very hardy. bright colors too haha

·
Registered
435 Posts
im not 100% on this but as i understand it dwarf gouramis need to be treated like a chiclid in the sense that they will be aggressive to each other if they arent forced to live in close proximity by sheer numbers.
I had a male and a female dwarf and dont think i could have introduced another pair, the male was quite aggressive and permanently trying to build bubble nests.... have you considered pearl (lace) gouramis? you could have lots of females and 1 male without a problem and the females are very pretty too, unlike dwarfs IMO.

I think you can mix many rainbow species but maybe not all ???.. no personal experience by my LFS has a 15ft planted tank with hundreds of different rainbows in it....

·
Registered
637 Posts
The peaceful temperament is towards other types of fishes, meaning they won't bother their tankmates. But the males are aggressive towards each other. Also, you need to make sure that you don't have other aggressive fish in that tank that would bother your gourami, as they are rather shy.

However, in a tank that is big enough with enough wood and plants, the males can each establish territories and several can get along in a big tank. You may be able to keep several males in a tank as big as yours, but you will never have a school of them, because they won't tolerate being near each other.

That being said, Dwarf Gouramis are quite small, and wouldn't stand out very much in a tank as big as yours. Personally I like the coloring of them the best, but have you considered some of the other bigger gouramis? You have plenty of space for them in your tank, and some of them are a little less shy than the dwarfs tend to be.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
I have kept Pearl Gouramis in a tank with fish as small as Guppies, and the Pearls did not eat the adults. Very few fry survived, though.

In general, most Anabatoids are territorial, and aggressive. It varies among species, and somewhat among individual fish.

More aggressive:
Males of any species.
Dwarf Gouramis
3-Spot and all the color variations
Betta
Paradise Fish

Not so aggressive:
Moonlight
Honey and the hybrids
Sparkling

More peaceful:
Snakeskin (But these are too large for fish under about 2" long- I have Snakeskins in my 125 with Clown Loaches and Bichers. They eat Guppies)

Suggestions for upper level schooling fish for a 'small fish' tank:
Hatchets (but they jump! Tank must be fully covered)
Danios (may also jump, but not to the extent of the Hatchets)

You can keep many species of Rainbows in the same tank, many species have a wide range of tolerances that overlap.
Many species will cross breed. If you get baby rainbows from a mixed species tank make sure you tell whoever gets them that they may be hybrids. (If you get enough to give away). Better than that, research which species will hybridize and do not keep those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much! Such a relief to finally have some good info regarding these guys. Thats a really good idea to keep several female pearl gourami's and 1 male; I didnt realize the females were just as pretty so that sounds like a great solution. Also pre-selecting Rainbows so they dont xbreed is a great idea that didnt even occur to me. Im still back and forth between the two but now at least i get to the fun part of looking at lots of fish to pick a look since now i have a much better idea what to expect. Its hard to not get super excited and "Noah's ark" it with so much space lol.

Right now i am thinking silver hatchets(ty for the idea Diana i <3 these), cardinals , pearl gourami and some corys for the bottom. I really like the Chilatherina and Glossolepis Rainbows but i dont want my tank to look cluttered so i might have to wait until i build another tank.
OR
Marble Hatchets, gold tetras, Rainbows and corys.
:bounce:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.