The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I am planning a build for a small patio pond (probably around 40 gallons). Debating on filtration, whether I should just make what would amount to an over the tank sump, or whether I even need a filter or if a small pump is enough. Thoughts?

One possible design I might use (made out of wood with a liner):

·
Registered
349 Posts
Depending on what you stock in there, might only need aeration with a pump. If you dont have a decent amount of shade or a lot of floating plants, plan on a lot of algae at first.

I have a decent pump that feeds a birdbath type of water feature. There's also a good sized pond sponge filter that gets mucked out a couple times a year. I only have two goldfish in there, but they are ginormous. Pond is probably 80 gallons (cast iron tub)?

Keep us updated on progress, love hearing about pond projects

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on what you stock in there, might only need aeration with a pump. If you dont have a decent amount of shade or a lot of floating plants, plan on a lot of algae at first.

I have a decent pump that feeds a birdbath type of water feature. There's also a good sized pond sponge filter that gets mucked out a couple times a year. I only have two goldfish in there, but they are ginormous. Pond is probably 80 gallons (cast iron tub)?

Keep us updated on progress, love hearing about pond projects
Thank you!, stocking will be ricefish and probably some red neocaridina for giggles. Part of the reason I was thinking an over the tank sump is the ability to add a UV light easily and cheaply. But ya I am thinking I could if I wanted to get away without a proper filter... decisions decisions ;P

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm using an Amazon purchased cheapo 190 GPH powerhead that has a 1 gallon Crystal Springs water jug with the bottom cut off, hot glued to it's intake. I stuffed it full of some old AquaClear sponge filters I had left over. Suction cup mounted to my 120 gallon stock tank side, tangentially aimed outlet so it keeps a circular flow going in the tank. Clean every month with water changes. It's working good so far

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My favorites are waterfall filters. You can make one using a simple waterfall feature pump and a box pond filter. Can be done with or without a sump (though it would probably be easier with a sump due to feature size- under 100 gallons is a little cramped for in tank building). I used rocks and pond liners to build around the filtration/ waterfall feed. Most things you need can be found for pretty cheap at home depot or lowes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.