The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have decided to re stock my tank but it must be with fish that do not fin nip.

ill say why, because in the tank is a black moor goldie - yes i know its a cold water fish but it has been living happily in the community tank for many years.

i did have some zebra dianos but they are fin nippers.

so at the moment all i have are 20 cardinal tetras, a few bristlenose catfish + about 40 fry, 2 amano shrimps and 3 bronze cories. they are in a 50 US gallon ( 200 litre) tank.

i am just after small fish so does anyone have any suggestions please??

i would show u lot a pic of the tank but the plants etc are not so good at the moment. :icon_frow

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rummy nose look nice - BUT i have just seen 1 or 2 of the cardinals trying to take a bite of the goldies tail ... i might have to see if i can find him a new home :icon_frow

her is a picture anyway: i need to add a lot more plants and get it sorted out - suggestions? :help: greatly appreciated.

i just did a water change so thats why it looks a bit funny

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lemon Tetras are a great choice. I personally have a school of 8 in my 125gal Discus tank along with Rummynose and Neon tetras. None of those 3 tetra species ever bother each other or the Discus. Much of the nipping with tetras is a result or insufficent numbers. This is not true in all cases (ie Skirt Tetras) but in the case of Neons, Rummynose, and Lemon Tetras it is certainly true. Go for a school of 5 or more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies guys it ias appreciated. i found it a bit strnage that the cardinals started nipping as i have not seen it before, esp as they are in a shoal of about 20......

·
Registered
256 Posts
Uncharacteristic fish aggression can also be a result of overcrowding or other aggressive fish in the tank/stress as a result of it. My cardinal tetras had my 10g carved up into more territories than the Bronx while I had a quarter size angelfish in there. After replacing it with a dwarf gourami, they are schooling peacefully now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.