The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 40B low light tank and am trying to plan what plants I'm going to have. There is going to be open sand in the front and a path, so I think to line the border between planted and non planted areas I'm going to tie moss to lots of little rocks. But what can I use to fill in areas between the little moss rocks and the midground plants?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
First plant that popped into my head was Lobelia. I haven't tried it but those that have really like it.

Second plant I do have, Staurogyne repens. You could trim the front down lower than the back and keep it the height you prefer.

You could use HM if you don't mind trimming. If you don't mind pulling runners out you could try hairgrass or Pygmy Chain Sword.

I haven't tried Blyxa but that is a possibility.

I am not succeeding with Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides but that might work as might Ranunculus Inundatus, sort of a ground cover and climbing over the plants in the back.

A lower growing crypt would work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have dwarf sag and it's a nice small plant. (3-6" low - med. light) It does send off runners and spreads but is easily clipped back.

since it spreads maybe not the best, but it's pretty and i like it...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I love staurogyne repins, but would it work in low light?

Sagittaria subulata gets pretty tall doesn't it? Can you just keep it trimmed to the height you want?

Crypt parva was one of my first thoughts, but I worried it might not get tall enough.

Plant planning is hard, lol.
C parva grows to about 3-4" in lower light and much shorter in high light so depending on what you are looking for it may work, if you want a taller crypt say in the 4-6" range there a few to choose from.

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.