The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2.5g with a Beta in it.

I've tried a cheapo heater that's rated for up to 10g. I think it's heating the water too much, even at the lowest setting.

Has anyone had any experience and can recommend a heater?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'm using the Finnex HMA 50watt in my 4gl Nano (also a Betta tank)

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?opt...d=2&product_id=2&Itemid=61&vmcchk=1&Itemid=61

I bought it from OUR SPONSER... AQUACAVE :biggrin:

We don't have the heat on in the house, it's been 50's at night, some windows are open. My tank has held 76 perfectly.

You truly get what you pay for in heaters. It's a small heater that is easy to hide in a small tank.

·
Registered
924 Posts
pick up a 25w Tetra heater from walmart. I use one in the HOB of my saltwater Fluval edge.

I tested it leaving the heater in a cup of water for 3 hrs. 78 consistant temp.

Safe. Cheap. Reliable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my mistake it's a 2.5g.

here's the tank.

here's the heater i have in there now (not plugged in). looks like i got the min/max size mixed up as well. :(

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just dial it back until you reach 76. Until you get into best quality few companies dials are calibrated correctly.

Also, unless you have a thermometer that is Science Lab quality ie. glass with lines etched in the glass NOT on paper...It most likely is off too.

I got one here: http://www.sciplus.com/ Look at 91053 PASSPORT THERM in the Lab section. Looks like the oneI have...can't tell from pic...Call if interested, they are nice people.

My favorite store to geek-out in. Get an accurate one to check your heater and your current Aquarium themometer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You may want to look at the heater for the Fluval Edge- that is definitely small enough to fit your nano tank, but it has a fixed output where you cannot adjust the temp. Depending on how cold the room is where your tank is located, this may be a good option.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the suggestion, but i don't think not having a thermostat work.

season changes see fairly large swings to temperature. indoors temps can range from 65 to 90+ when we have the windows open. we unfortunately don't have central air.

also, in the winter, the house is to 68 when we're home and 55 when we're not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah. i think it's time to toss the filter out.

i tore down the 2.5g and set up my old 10g.

i set it to the lowest possible setting (70*) last night. it's now reading 82*F.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts