The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small bit of green tinge starting on my rocks should I be worried about this? Rather deal with it now before it gets out of hand.

I have a 10 gallon heavily planted tank running DIY c02, dosing Excel and flourish (flourish 1ml every 2 days) 11 hour light cycle, 3 small neon tetras and a bunch of hitchhiker snails.

Should i add a cory or something?

·
Registered
123 Posts
With DIY co2 you wont need excel, you also should shorten your light cycle to 8-9 hours IMO. Also, its recomended for 5ml a week for 60 gallons of water. Your dosing 3-4 ml a week for 10 gallons. A bit much.
Excel dosing on bottle is 1ml per 10 gal daily??

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Turn your lights down. I'd do 6-8 hours. Starting with 6...

Excel dosing straight from the website:
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.

Less light, more co2, and more nutrients are almost ALWAYS the answer.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I was talking about the flourish people.
Read your post.... see how easy it was to miss that? YOu talked about flourish excel then did not say anything otherwise....

That being said, no way is 3 or 4 ml too much. The majority of us dose using systems like EI, PPS, RootMedic or Pfertz and likely dose upwards of 10x those amounts.

The light is the problem here. The excel is hurting nothing and likely helping, considering the problems with consistency in diy co2.

LESS LIGHT, MORE CO2, MORE NUTRIENTS. Fixes algae all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts