The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my aqua gardening experience.

My original tank idea was to have a heavily planted area on one side to have that cool effect and an open swimming area.

I planted jungle val and Amazon sword.

Well. Amazon sword went nuts. My poor jungle vals just got lost in there. They are short and the new growth I got is very wispy. Amazon Swords are monster pig plants lol

So. The “open area” in my tank became what I called the “black void” - no fish went there unless food was involved.

So basically, at LEAST if not more, a third of my tank went unused by my fish.

So I decided to deviate from my original aesthetic plan.

I pulled up all my Jungle Vals out of the Amazon Sword Forest and bought a few more and planted them on the left side of the tank.

I also moved my floater enclosure to the black void as well.

Within hours, my tetra school started swimming across the whole tank. They just hang out in the former black void now and are using the whole tank space.

I’m so glad I did this re-gardening (I wouldn’t call what I do aquascaping lol)
My fish are happier and I can see them so much better than when they huddled in the Amazon sword Forest!

I guess this was just a humble brag and happy I got over my original vision this post 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not able to see the pics. Is it just me??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's working fine on desktop for me...

Your tank looks great! If I remember correctly, there's some sort of allelopathy (plant warfare) between amazon swords and vallisneria, which might explain why the val failed to thrive. It was detaild somewhere in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium I think...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would make sense.
The Swords were out-competing my Vals 100% - easy to tell. My Vals weren’t dying but weren’t growing either.

It’s only been a week since I moved them over (I am also having a staghorn algae situation so I’ve been dosing a bit of liquid CO2 and I know vals do not love that) so it’s hard to tell but I’m hoping they will take off.

If you were having issues viewing the images
https://imgur.com/gallery/6KCie9l

My tetras are out and about all day now, which makes all my cories and Otos more comfortable as well 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.