The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set up a Corydoras panda biotope. I was thinking a 10 or 20 gallon long, unheated and unplanted with some water movement. I'm looking for tankmates. Corydoras panda is from the upper Rio Ucayali, the Rio Amarillae (tributary of the Rio Pachitea), and the Rio Aquas. I'm specifically interested in fish to fill the middle and top of the tank.

I've searched fishbase for, but I haven't found anything that would work. Part of the problem is it's pretty hard to figure out which fish have overlapping ranges with Corydoras panda.

Apistogramma pandura seems like it has an almost overlapping range and it is apparently tolerant of cooler water, but I think it's from further down the Ucayali. It's too bad as a panda-themed biotope would be cool.

I know this is a pretty specific request, but does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I'd like to set up a Corydoras panda biotope. I was thinking a 10 or 20 gallon long, unheated and unplanted with some water movement. I'm looking for tankmates. Corydoras panda is from the upper Rio Ucayali, the Rio Amarillae (tributary of the Rio Pachitea), and the Rio Aquas. I'm specifically interested in fish to fill the middle and top of the tank.

I've searched fishbase for, but I haven't found anything that would work. Part of the problem is it's pretty hard to figure out which fish have overlapping ranges with Corydoras panda.

Apistogramma pandura seems like it has an almost overlapping range and it is apparently tolerant of cooler water, but I think it's from further down the Ucayali. It's too bad as a panda-themed biotope would be cool.

I know this is a pretty specific request, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Not perfect but bloodfin or Buenos aries tetras may be a possibility
More info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, neither of those fish come from the same area as Corydoras panda. It looks like some Hemibrycon and Moenkhausia tetras might have overlapping range with Corydoras panda. However, these species are very unlikely to be available in a store. Seems unlikely that I'll be able to find other fish from Huanuco.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm no expert on Peruvian exports, but I'd expect a stained, sandy, pretty sparse environment, as you've described. Various cories and other catfish on the bottom. For upper regions, they've no doubt got schools of hatchetfish and pencilfish, and everywhere else, just various tetras and Apistogramma cichlids. Finding specific species that are known from that area and reliably available is likely, as you've pointed out, pretty hit-or-miss. But really, the typical cacatuoides wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a mind-numbing amount of searching (the Global Biodiversity Information Facility is an amazing resource), I've found some species that have been collected from the same general area of Corydoras panda. All the geotagged Corydoras panda location are in Rio Pachitea, way way up the Amazon in a tributary of Rio Ucayali. These fish come from the same area and could fit in a 20 gallon tank (I might end up getting something slightly larger like 20-40 gallons).

Cichlids
  • Aequidens patricki
  • Bujurquina megalospilus
  • Bujurquina hophrys
  • Tahuantinsuyoa chipi
Characins
  • Prionobrama filigera
  • Hyphessobrycon loretoensis
  • Moenkhausia oligolepis
  • Moenkhausia simulata
  • Boehlkea fredcochui or Knodus borki (possible ID problems)
The cichlids are pretty rare, but possibly acquirable. The Glass Bloodfin and Loreto Tetra are probably the easiest of these fish to find. The Moenkhausia sp. would be harder to find, but so cool to get, especially Moenkhausia simulata.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.