The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon long tank, currently its drift wood, rocks, sand bottom, java fern, tiny bit of java moss attached at different locations, some of those live plantlet producing apontogeton (sp?).

What I really like about most aquariums is the 'little' things. I like to carefully examine the rocks and see the little critters moving about --- things that would easily be missed if you just gave the tank a quick look. For instance I have a multitude of snail species in there , none are over powering - all are fairly small. I have one itty-bitty female betta also in there. I would like to add more 'small things' to the tank but I have no clue what. Other fish wouldn't be bad, but I am looking for something small, and possibly shy so they are only spotted once in a while? I don't want something like, say a goldfish in there because it makes it very unnatural looking to have a cubby fan tail bobbing around. (They are great for my pond or in a goldfish tank, but not what I am looking for here) I only want to add a few fish, dull/dark in color so they don't look to 'loud'. I would also like to add other 'things' (ie small inverts, amphibs, loachs maybe?) but I don't know what.

The tank has been setup for probably well over a year. It orginally had guppies in it and varius plant species - untill I realized they did better when I bothered them less - and then I didn't bother them AT ALL (LOL!) and the tank quickly became a thick cloud of mulm.

Any suggestions on what to add? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The female betta isnt necessarily a perminant resident. I actually bought her to put in a java fern nano I was going to set up at my desk at work.

Dwarf cray fish? I have a crayfish he (or she) is about 4 inches, maybe a bit bigger, and I have no clue what species he is. I have had it for longer then this tank I believe (so more than a year, I originally kept him and two others in a pond). I was afraid to add him to the tank as he eats just about anything. He even chows down of floating plants and he ate my goldfish fry I was raising!!! So i am a bit afraid of crayfish.

I would like to get MTS in there too (I don't have those) but I am afraid of disrupting the snail community in there. I don't want a massive population explosion of anything - could I add MTS with out a problem?

the cherry red shrimp seem like a good idea too me too, but are they hardier then Ghost shrimp? I've bought some awsome ghost shrimp and they seem to die off easily. I would have to buy Cherry reds online.

I was also thinking dwarf clawed frogs might make a good addition.

One more thing: What fresh water species of fish are small, shy, and like to hide?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.