The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know some good epiphytic plant speceis (orchids, tillandsias, ferns, etc) that do not get too large and can tolerate constant high humidity in a paludarium?

I have one good size bromeliad in my paludarium currently and I want to get a couple more plants that I can mount to the driftwood or foam background. It looks kind of empty now with just the one terrestrial plant.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Orchid grower of over 30 years here...

Many orchids can tolerate high humidity, though they need air movement to prevent stagnation... Humid stagnant air can cause lots of issues such as bacterial and fungal infections and rots.

If there's air movement, and the lighting's okay then I'm sure you'll find a number of orchids that will do well in your situation. Much of your success (flowering plants) depends on temperature, too...

Rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a lot of 'em. Have you checked out .dendroboard.com/, or blackjungle.com?

J & L Orchids is a good place to shop for affordable miniature orchids.
Blackjungle I am familiar with. I look at their stuff when they do the local reptile shows. But I would rather get an idea of a few hardy species before I actually place an order with them.

I stumbled on Dendroboard a few times in the past, I guess it's worth getting an account there even though I don't keep any dendrobates.

J&L Orchids I have not heard of. Will check that site out right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Epidendrum porpax is a real hardy, relatively fast-gorwing miniature orchid and one of my favorites.

Try also mini Neoregelia broms.

Ficus pumila is cheap--you might find it at Lowe's or Home Depot--and can cover in a hurry.

Charles Alford (rareferns.com) usually has a few miniature fern selections. Many of these are surprisingly fast and hardy. Ask the dart frog people for fern species recomendations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts