The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7gal tank, and my HOB filter and heater take up a lot of room. Is there a small canister filter with an integrated heater that I could use instead?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think what you're looking for is an in-line heater, instead of integrated on the canister filter. I personally use one from Hydor on their canister filters that I've been running for years without a problem.

The only issue for you is the size of your tank, the flow of a small canister filter might not be sufficient for the heater to work properly. In such a case, Somefishguy's suggestion of using a low profile heater might be better.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the Biomaster Thermo 250 (heater version) on my 25 gallon and it has plenty of flow. It is not that small but is very well made and quiet. It is probably overkill for a 7 gallon planted.

Most canister filters have a very similar basic design. You could probably call anything but an Eheim or a Fluval a knockoff :)

I would buy an appropriately sized well-reviewed small canister and just add an inline heater, possibly with a heater controller for safety.

Let us know what you decide and how it works.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have an Oase Thermosmart 100 on a 16 gallon betta tank. It has it's pros and cons. The biggest con is you pretty much have to take everything out and rinse it, including media. Biggest pros are the integrated heater and how quiet it runs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run a Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 on a 20 gal and it is an amazing piece of equipment (I like to go overboard on filtration). Stable temps, huge capacity, and very quiet. Their Filtosmart Thermo filters are probably just as good and are geared towards smaller tanks. The Oase Filtosmart Thermo 100 is rated for 20gal, but I personally wouldn't run it on anything bigger than a 10gal. You may need to find a way to tame the flow in a 7gal, but you can throttle the output a bit with a ball valve.

-AM

·
Registered
365 Posts
I run a Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 on a 20 gal ...
I have one on my 45 gallon. I was looking at putting the 250 on my 29 gallon. The prefilter cleaning option is very convenient.

The Oase Filtosmart Thermo 100 is rated for 20gal, but I personally wouldn't run it on anything bigger than a 10gal.
I do think it's a little under powered on my 16 gallon. I was contemplating going up to the 200, but the betta likes the lower flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts