The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking to find out what these small bugs are in my shrimp tank as they are breeding quite quickly and I would like to find a way to remove them.

I don't think they are copepods (They look more circular), Not quite as big as Daphnia i've seen in the past either.

Theyre small and also swim in the water column a bit. I've tried putting in a few guppies but I havent seen them eat any yet

Not sure how to upload videos here so I uploaded below:

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
They're copepods.

How much and how frequently are you feeding? Looks like a lot of waste and detritus (and dead snail shells) on your substrate near the front and sides of your tank. For shrimp tanks, feed every 2-3 days and only what your shrimp can finish within an hour or two. Remove leftovers. Basically reduce the food source for them and their population will quickly dwindle.

You can also manually remove them with a fine mesh net.

But reality? They're beneficial for your tank. Just like snails.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
I know a sparkling gourami will eat those. Maybe you can borrow one. or a few. lol. Otherwise I second everything said by @somewhatshocked.

If you look close are some little ovals while some are little ovals carrying two little bags attached? These are very zoomed in and I don't know about the colors at all. But the shape is what we're looking at. Copepods.
Purple Human body Organism Font Body jewelry

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're interested in adding livestock Kuhli Loaches will eat Copepods. Kuhlis cleaned up my heavily planted 10 gallon tank pretty quickly. I have also read Pygmy Coryadoras will do the same. Both of these are shrimp friendly,

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
If you're interested in adding livestock Kuhli Loaches will eat Copepods. Kuhlis cleaned up my heavily planted 10 gallon tank pretty quickly. I have also read Pygmy Coryadoras will do the same. Both of these are shrimp friendly,
Neither are shrimp friendly. Loaches especially will eat young shrimp and harass/stalk/hunt/kill adult shrimp. As with any fish, each individual is different. But primarily? They're gonna eat what will fit in their mouth.

Both will certainly clean up copepods, daphnia, seed shrimp, everything.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If not copepods, my next guess would actually be seed shrimp. Look more like seed shrimp to me, but there's no clear focus on them.

Many people have successfully kept kuhlis and pygmy cories with shrimp without issues. That said, there's always a chance for "renegade fish" that will go after shrimp. CPD's are another option, or endlers.

If you choose to go the fish route... just be aware that fish may go after shrimp, especially young shrimp - unless you have a way to remove the shrimp.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Spent some time isolating each frame this morning and enlarging some things. Looks like there are multiple types of copepods in the mix, along with seed shrimp, at least two types of daphnia and some common detritus worms. All fine and, in my opinion, a good sign for a shrimp tank.

If it were me? I'd leave them alone. Be more stringent with feedings. And let the tank do its thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts