The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of 3 weeks i lost 3 of my 4 blue velvets, though i only found one corpse in the tank. Every one seemed to be in association with a molt. But my GH isn't astronomical, only 9 degrees. I'm going to do a big water change this weekend to get it down to ~5ppm, but also wondering what else I can be looking for.

Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 5
GH : 9
KH : 3
pH : ~7.2

Ferts are from forum member Nilocg, using his premixed liquid Thrive formula, under-dosing at 1 pump every 4 days currently. It has trace copper in it but not enough to affect the shrimp based on his results with other users. Dosing 2 ml of Excel twice a day, other forum members are dosing this much in a 5 gallons without it affecting shrimp.

I added 6 more blue velvets yesterday and don't want to lose them, they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What is your maintenance schedule looking like?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your maintenance schedule looking like?
25% water change every 8 days (so it happens every other fertilization). I add Distilled water usually treated with a small amount of Seachem Equilibrium and Seachem Alkaline Buffer, but that has kept the GH higher than desired so I need to be lighter handed with it.

This weekend I intend to do a double 25% hoping to get the GH down a bit, with no additives other than the ferts. Will measure the pH after a bit and see if it needs the Alkaline Buffer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Big water changes might be a bad idea. Smaller, more frequent water changes is probably more effective (but more work). I would also layoff the ferts/excel if you can...

25% water change every 8 days (so it happens every other fertilization). I add Distilled water usually treated with a small amount of Seachem Equilibrium and Seachem Alkaline Buffer, but that has kept the GH higher than desired so I need to be lighter handed with it.

This weekend I intend to do a double 25% hoping to get the GH down a bit, with no additives other than the ferts. Will measure the pH after a bit and see if it needs the Alkaline Buffer.

Oh these other additives could very well be what's killing your shrimp. I stay far away from any water softeners, alkaline buffers, etc. Learned the hard way...mass extinction.

Tap water isn't necessarily bad, especially if you add it slowly to an established tank (and left sitting for a few days prior to get out the chlorine). Unless of course you are living in Flint!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Even for neocaridina, simple is better. It sounds like there's a lot going on with your water and you need to just cut it all and then slowly add in what you need to see what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Everything I'm reading says to use shrimp minerals instead of something like Seachem for remineralizing water... so that could be your issue, too.

Most everyone recommends Salty Shrimp Kh/Gh booster for cherries.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Unless you're planning on keeping blue tigers of some sort or your tap water is really bad you shouldn't need remineralized water either. Tap works fine for neos.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tap is high in nitrates and I'm as worried or more about the health of the CPDs. but I'll look into the water treatment. Note that I'm doing all the same things chemically I did with my last tank in which the neos thrived. Except maybe the excel dosage which I have reduced now

·
Registered
204 Posts
The GH is fine. With shrimp tanks you only need to do water changes every 2-3 weeks and top off the tank in between that. Neos are hardy and can molt in a Gh up to 14. When you do water changes do you jump dump the water back in or do you drip or slowly fill the tank? I use tap on all my shrimp tanks even the ones with CRS; however, all the parameters are low and I have to remineralize such as GH and TDS. You may want to get a TDS meter and check that out. Also, Excel has been known to kill shrimp if you use too much.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I change the water I just slowly pour it into the filter and it overflows into the tank.

I've cut dramatically back on the excel for the moment and we will see. I think getting the hair grass to spread and keeping the danios happy are likely higher priorities for me really so I will see how the current batch does but I may just hold off on neos for the time being until I get the tank carpeted and the moss grown out.

I put 6 In a few days ago on top of one already there, and I only see three right now, but I also have pulled four molts out of the tank and the molted shrimp might be hiding as well. The Java fern is really bushy and tangled and may just help them hide. I've only ever seen one shrimp corpse in the tank, but I certainly don't see all the shrimp I feel I should be seeing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How did you acclimate them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts