The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The newer versions of the Emperor 400 do not have any flow controller on them, so it runs basically full blast all the time.

I have 2 of them on the back of my 90 gallon tank. I like the job they do with just sponges and floss in them, the surface agitation is nice for at least a little O2 for my fish, and it certainly improves circulation...but it seems to be too much when looking at the "waterfalls" - I am losing the CO2 that I am pumping in (pressurized).

I wrapped the spray bars in Teflon and electrical tape. I also removed the biowheels.

I was going to try wrapping the inlet in media bags, but that doesn't look like it will slow it down. I stuffed the inlet pipe 1/2-full with rubber, but the flow didn't slow down at all.

The box-part is stuffed with floss and filter sponges...for mechanical filtration. Still it is too fast coming out.

My last problem is that even with my tank completely filled to the rim, there is a couple inch drop for the waterfall. I don't really want my tank 100% full though, since my Apple Snails release eggs above the waterline.

Has anyone had any success somehow slowing the flow down on these?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I have an XP2 and a Magnum 350 also, so please don't suggest going fully canister instead. I am a filtration/circulation nut, so-to-speak.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've seen people attach sponges to their outlet so that the water flows along it into their tank...but not for a drop of a couple inches. Maybe a DIY PVC/acrylic thing you can attach to the outflow to let the water flow into the tank without surface agitation.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The Emperor 400's come with spray bars now? COOL! Since it does, aim the spray bar at the wall it's closest to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.