The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 18 and I LOVE planted tanks. They are beautiful but as I get older and try to balance school, a job, friends , family and my girlfriend I don't have as much time anymore. I love the fish and I won't get rid of them. I have a planted 30 gallon and it's very thick and overgrown because the plants are overgrown. I have a dual t5 and I dose flourish trace elements once a week. The plants grow so fast. How can I reduce plant growth but still have healthy plants or should I do fake plants?

·
Banned
107 Posts
I'm 18 and I LOVE planted tanks. They are beautiful but as I get older and try to balance school, a job, friends , family and my girlfriend I don't have as much time anymore. I love the fish and I won't get rid of them. I have a planted 30 gallon and it's very thick and overgrown because the plants are overgrown. I have a dual t5 and I dose flourish trace elements once a week. The plants grow so fast. How can I reduce plant growth but still have healthy plants or should I do fake plants?
fishnet your lights, raise your lights. Lighting would be the simplest way to slow growth. You could probably cut back on trace ferts in proportion to the cut back you make with your lights.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
30H or 30L ?
Zoo Med has a single bulbT5 fixture listed in the Reptile section of on-line stores.
It would work better in a lower tank though. Fish don't need artificial light if there is a window in the room so you can put the light timer on 6 hrs a day starting at noon or 1P.M. so you can see it after work.
Curious how you have gotten along without full fert without plant problems but could
be the type of plants as some don't require as much as others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.