The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding aquascaping a dirt tank.

I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon dirt tank, and would ideally like to have a small slope from front to back. I have read that if you put more than 1.5" of dirt as the substrate, then you run the risk of gas pockets killing your fish, so I can't slope using strictly the dirt.

I was thinking of creating a slope on the back of the tank using black aquarium sand (will also be my capping substrate) and then putting the dirt on top of the sand. Any thoughts as to whether this would be a bad idea or not?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not try using something that would take up space that was not dirt. Then add the dirt on top. Maybe a zip lock bag with water or even water bottle? Just a thought. If you wanted to get fancy maybe the plastic light diffuser some hot glue and screen mesh. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I'll have to look into those egg crates because I've seen them used in tanks before, but I thought they were used to prevent damaging the glass of a tank when using heavy rocks in a scape. Maybe they have more uses than I knew of!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.