The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be redoing my 4' x 2' tank soon with ADA Aquasoil. Given the tank's depth, some sort of slope will be essential. There seem to be several popular methods for creating slopes:

• Larger rocks underlying the substrate

• Substrate layered with egg crate

• Wrapped bags of inert substrate

• Vertically placed plastic dividers

To those who've had experience using one or more of these methods - which is best for an easy to maintain slope? I have tried the rock method but have found eventually the slope degrades and the rock gets exposed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have had good success on my new scape with egg crate and the use of beanbags! I make the mini beanbags by filling up pantyhose with gravel.

You can buy plastic mesh from Art stores to zip tie over the egg crates so that debri can't get in.

Lastly, filling up gaps with lava rock from lowes, home depot, etc. is a good precaution.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I look forward to seeing how your scape progresses. The slope I have in mind isn't quite as intense but it's definitely great to see in-progress pictures.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found a nice plastic grating product that should serve as a good base. I'm not keen on having water below it and having to deal with a pumping system. Would crushed up lava rock work? Where is the best place to get some? Will it impact water parameters?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've found a nice plastic grating product that should serve as a good base. I'm not keen on having water below it and having to deal with a pumping system. Would crushed up lava rock work? Where is the best place to get some? Will it impact water parameters?

The flo-cell should work great and others have used it successfully. I use Crushed Lava rock many times and it works great and is inert. You can get it at local home improvement stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.