The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resently I have gotten this slimy green algea growing on my plants closest to the lights. I know it is NOT blue green algea. This algea is slimy/stringy like. It doesnt really stick to anything but is begaining to cover my plants at the top of the tank/closest to the light. I can't find any pics that look like it so far. My plants are growing great, but I don't want to give this a chance to take hold, I have been manually removing this crap, but it is a pain and I can't get it all seeing as it is 'wrapped up' in my fox tails. Any ideas? Any fish that can help out? I have snails but they don't seen to do well in my tank, low PH, soft water.

Thanks,
Anna

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I was looking around a bit and on this site http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm what I have kind of looks like the second pic under the Hair, Thread, Fuzz ect AND the first and third pics under Rhizoclonium. But the algea I have in in a high flow area and growing on the outlet of my AquaClear filter, which is where it started first. I did kind of slack off my ferts for a little, but have been remembering to dose them now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No CO2. I have thought about it before, but my plants grow very nicely and very fast(too fast) and I get really confused looking into CO2. I really don't have the money to put out $100+ for the set up. I took some time yesterday and today and got a good amount out. I would be happy to just be able to just keep it under control, I am not algea-phobic. I may look into CO2 again, any reconmendations? Suggestions?

Thanks alot

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If you get rid of the algae by regular fertilizer dosing, I'd say that would be the best solution.

CO2 can give plants some additional vigor to shake off algae.

There isn't really a cheap, cheap way to get pressurized CO2. You are looking at least at $150 for a combo regulator, tank, and some tubing. And that can quickly double or triple if you go with "high end" components.

You can do a super-cheap DIY CO2 setup, but it needs constant supervision and work, especially for an aquarium of that size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank got some what "neglected" a couple of weeks ago.:icon_sad: I did basic care, but forgot more often then not to dose ferts and excel. For the last week or so I have been dosing ferts and excel and taking out as much aglea as I can by hand. I also upped the water changes to get the free floating pieces out. The algea is declining bit by bit. As far as CO2, I have thought about getting it. BUT my plants are doing great, growing very quickly, too quickly. Other than this algea I am very happy with my tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.