The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was observing my sandy bottom fish tank and I noticed an oto pretending to suck at plants and sand. He slowly was making his way towards cory Catfish munching on some wafers. He soon wiggled into the bunch of cories and sucked onto to one of the large adult cories. he latched on just behind the dorsal fun and started sucking. the cory seemed pained by this and quickly bolted away off into the plants. the oto jumped onto a nearby plant and pretended to clean then but soon he was back on another cory sucking at it in the same spot.

is this harmful for the cories?
what can i do?

·
Registered
695 Posts
hmm if they suck on the body slime of fish then they are starving but i'm not sure what you can do since you do feed them algae wafers maybe someone who actually owns them can help you.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Are you sure it is an Oto. I only heard of CAE and SAE doing this. If he is stcking on to the Corys than it will eventually peel the slime coat away. I would seriously watch him and the Corys. Make sure you dot see serious marks. If you are feeding them properly and he is doing this I think he is a naughty Oto.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
wow. that's a first i heard an oto of doing that. Yeah, show us a picture of the oto. it might be a chinese algae eater. if it is an oto, he got the taste for slime. you got to remove him then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i had otos and cichlids together and once in a while i would see the oto suck on the cichlid. i assumed it was lost. i had some otos that really cleaned up, eat everything and suck on everything.

i would think the corycat could fend for itself. if the oto is doing it obsessively, maybe move it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ottos will do it. But like it has been mentioned It is only if there is a lack of food in the tank. I have seen my otos do it when first intoduced to a tank with Angel fish in it. Now they are in an Algea Rich enviroment.

MAHA

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've also had my otos do this a couple days ago but to my asian filter shrimp. What's ironic though is my asian filter shrimp along with my RCS and CRS were al l munching on several pieces of Hikari algae pellets along with a couple other otos when 1 oto decided to suck on my asian filter shrimp. My asian filter shrimp eventually kicked him off with one of her hind legs but not before I snapped a really crappy picture of the oto doing this.

There was plenty of food laying right in front of him, so why'd he decide to suck on my poor loner asian filter shrimp? :(

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ottos with the munchies :hihi:

Seriously though, is there any signs of trauma on your cory? Like James said, it may not be an otto.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are you sure it is an Oto. I only heard of CAE and SAE doing this. If he is stcking on to the Corys than it will eventually peel the slime coat away. I would seriously watch him and the Corys. Make sure you dot see serious marks. If you are feeding them properly and he is doing this I think he is a naughty Oto.
CAEs do suck the mucous membrane but not SAEs. At least in my experience.:smile:

The pic shows an oto to be exact.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ive seen the otos at work become vampires ! they gang up on fish and take them down to a certain death. ( at the lfs) now they do this at the store when there hungry, youres? he may be on fat fish looking for more food to become more fat ? lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
hahaha nice post cardboard! ;) that was great " im not a retard"

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
maybe there is a new breed of nasty otos!!! I am glad I have the sweet ones..lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've seen an otto or two of mine do this very occasionally; it is always right after I drop a sinking pellet and they've gotten on top of the fish that is feeding on the pellet. I think they are not necessarily trying to suck the slime coat of the fish as much as they're learning there's something edible here and how do I get to it? They are the runts of the bunch compared to cory cats and plecos and can't figure how to get to the bottom of the pile. I've never seen those same ottos do that at any other time of the day which is why I'm thinking it not a problem with them attacking and trying to actually feed on the fish itself.

I would just continue to keep watch and see if the behavior is consistent or infrequent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The "rouge" Otto. I've read about them in a mag. Although rare, they are out there. I think I would keep an eye on this behavior for a while.

Interesting thought about feeding time. Maybe their half blind, or maybe their "RETARDED" or at least dumb.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would catch it and dispose of it.

A slime-sucking Otto killed my last angelfish. During the day, I would see the angel darting almost constantly to get away from the otto, but at night, in the dark, he could not see, and thus not move, and the otto scraped away slime, and scales, and that was it for the angel. :angryfire

In my experience, ottos are useless. Snails eat far more algae. :proud:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had one otto out of a group I bought do this to my angels. Repeatedly. (Well, I think it was just one -- they all look pretty similar!) It was euthanized rather quickly. And I haven't seen it happen since, which adds to my belief that it was one rogue otto.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I've heard of reports (over at SimplyDiscus) where otos have sucked on discus...no deaths, but just annoyance. Mine don't touch anything but the plants, substrate and walls (knock on wood). I'm surprised that the cory gets bugged since it basically has a suit of armor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts