The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing my water changes, about 10 minutes after refill, some kind of slimy stuff appears in my tank. It is like long slimey threads that float around and also sticks on the plants, gravel, wood, and even the fish. The fish swim around with it stuck on them like streamers. They dont seem bothered by it.

I have done 3 water changes now and it has happened every time. Then after about an hour all the slimey threads dissapear, like they disolved into the water column.

Here is my routine:

I fill a 35 gallon plastic trash can with water from the kitchen tap via Python.

In the trash can I treat the water using Prime, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1/2 tbsp Equilibrium.

A mag drive pump circulates the water being treated in the can.

Drain ~35 gallons from aquarium using Python.

Refill using Python connected to mag drive pump, pumping the treated water from trash can to aquarium.

During draining of the aquarium I turn the canister filters off, but they are only off for about 15 to 30 minutes.

The trash can that i use is brand new and has never contained anything strange. I washed it very well when I first got it and its only used for water changes. The slimey crud is very strange and seems harmless. I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It may be a thin film of biological scum that forms on the water surface. When you pour water in, it breaks it up and it floats around in the water column.

It could be other things, but this is one area to observe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome i think you guys just solved the mystery! There is some surface scum in my tank, and pouring the water in would definately bring it into the water column.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.