The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just as the title says I'm having an algea problem. Description of my tank is as follows:

Size: 45g

Lighting: 36inch Planted+ 24/7 running full brightness back of tank and 24inch Satellite plus pro on the front of tank. Light to substrate is 20-21 inches. Lights are on 8 hours

Filtration: Marineland canister C-360; also 1* Hydor Koralia nano 425gph powerhead

Substrate: Caribsea Floramax

Co2: drop checker in the green; used with inline reactor

Fish: 2 angels; 2 swordtail; 2 mollies;* 3 danios; 10 neon tetra; 3-5 nerites; 5-8 amanos

Plants: I will post the picture I can't remember everything I have

Ferts: API root tabs and EI dosing for 40-60g. Also dose 10mL Flourish excel same day as micros.

Also do 50% WC every week.

So that's that. I recently rescaled and put in a bunch of plants. My initial thought was too much light but no sure. Also not sure what type of algea is growing. Attached pics below. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely think that you have too much light. The planted plus pro is more than enough. Also all of your plants except your wheatgrass (I think that's what it is) seems to be low to medium light plants. Why are you dosing excel when you have CO2? How many root tabs have you put into the substrate? If you are EI dosing, root tabs shouldn't be necessary. Also I would check your fert ppm levels. Those recommended dosing charts are for heavily planted aquariums. You may be dosing way, way, more than your plants can absorb. I would also cut back your lighting to two, 3-hour cycles with a 3-hour break in between. That should get you heading in the right direction for starters. Good luck!
Thank you for your response! I was under the assumption that excel helps control algea with minimal doses. There are currently 7 root tabs evenly spaced out, also I thought dosing the water column and substrate wouldn't hurt things. My satellite plus pro is only the 24 inch version and my tank is 36 inches wide, that would still be sufficient light?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.