The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this? I get it about every week during naps, today I had a great episode.

I was lying there with my eyes open, I figure that I was just really relaxed, I tried to move my arms and legs but nothing happens. Then I started thinking I could hear my GF coming home from work.

At this point I just closed my eyes and few seconds later I snapped out of it. But I felt so tired that I fell back to sleep and the same thing happend again.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had this for years...yours don't sound very scary, though...lucky you. My experiences are terrifying..like I'm in a dangerous situation but cannot move. I know there's a a name for this, but I can't think of it. Glad to hear that yours are acceptably tame for you.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Probably at the age of five or six I had something like that happen. "Woke" up and couldn't move, freaked myself out beyond belief. To this day I still fear that happening again.

Not sure if it was sleep paralysis or not.......but 15+ years later it still sends a chill through my spine.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I have this all the time. Especially after I go skiing. Its like I'm stuck in my ski boots and can't move, but in actuality I could. Or sometimes I feel like they're big big big boulders on top of me... REALLY weird and freaky.

So I guess I'm not thaaat weird?

-Andrew

·
Registered
786 Posts
my husband has sleep paralysis too. Wakes up, can't move and sometimes feels a threatening presence in the room. He got some great books on the subject and found out that sometimes the thing in the brain that locks your body down during sleep (so when you're running in a dream you're not running in real life) sometimes doesn't switch off right when you are starting to wake up.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
my husband has sleep paralysis too. Wakes up, can't move and sometimes feels a threatening presence in the room. He got some great books on the subject and found out that sometimes the thing in the brain that locks your body down during sleep (so when you're running in a dream you're not running in real life) sometimes doesn't switch off right when you are starting to wake up.
Thats really interesting! But I guess in my case it would be the other way... I would have it usually turn on too early.

What about sleep walking then? Is that when it doesn't turn the "walk switch" off?

-Andrew

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
This is not a diagnosis. I am not a Doctor, and I don't play one on TV.

cataplexy, or the sudden loss of voluntary muscle tone; vivid hallucinations during sleep onset or upon awakening; and brief episodes of total paralysis at the beginning or end of sleep. It's the only symptom of narcolepsy that I don't have. It is like dreaming but you are awake and you can't move. I just suffer from EDS, I can drop to REM or even level 4 sleep in about 7 minutes instead of the usual hours.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have every symptom but cataplexy. I am exhausted during the day, everything revolves around getting home to take a nap. Afterwords I feel like crap.

Part of the problem might be boredom, if I am mentally or physically stimulated I can get through the day with no problem.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hmm sometimes i'm just about to fall asleep then i wake up suddenly for no reason then i fall asleep also Urkevitz i'm always tired during the day also even if i drink coffee in the morning but not all the time.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
lol me too when i get sleep in school its like my legs jus kick for no reason and it wakes me up , probably its sayin wakeup dude ur in school

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had this happen but it only ever happens to one arm, and would only happen if I hadn't had enough sleep and was suddenly awoken. I'd reach up to rub my face/ hit the alarm clock or turn on a light and ...nuthin'. I'm not not sure it's the same thing though. I wonder if it's connected to sleep apnea?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I'll have it every once in a while.

Here's another one...

When I was little I put a single mattress in a walk-in closet and slept there, trying to make more space in my room. I would shut the door and sleep.

One night, I drempt I was in a coffin. I woke up in my pitch black closet. BOTH my arms were completely dead, no feeling whatsoever, like they had been cut off. They were just dead things hanging from my shoulders. This meant I couldn't use them to roll over. I couldn't open the closet door. I literally had to sit up and swing my body frantically, presumably flapping my arms around, although I couldn't see or feel them. Finally, they started to tingle and I very slowly regained feeling and movement and managed to escape the coffin....I mean closet. That freaked the heck out of me!

I dunno if my circulation had failed to the point of paralysis or what. It was the only time I regained movement very gradually and the only time I felt the "going numb" sensation as movement returned.

Dr. Crusher performed several bio scans but found nothing unusual, other than an elevated adrenaline level, which she thought was understandable under the circumstances.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts