The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I live in Guadeloupe, French west indies, in the caribbean.
I only do freshwater tanks for now, almost all very planted.
I did almost everything in my fishroom : the tanks, the rack, the lights,
the electronics to have sensors monitoring parameters, manage the lights,
(sunrise, sunset and other light events).

I also did my own lights out of nice sheets of higly figured wood, carved
the inside to insert LEDs, routed an acrylic cover and frosted it. All my lights
are home made, 12V LED based (beeing 12V, i can set the light intensity easily,
i have 1024 levels from between completely off to completely on).

I don't try to make realistic biotope tanks, but i still try to provide nature-like conditions to my
animals, meaning plants to interact with and progressive sunset/sunrise, nice water quality, etc.

As for the animals, i'm into shrimps (neocaridina and caridina mainly) and nano fishes (rasboras, boraras, pygmy corys, etc).
I also like corys quite a bit, and in general fishes that goes along with my shrimps (ottocinclus for instance).

About the plants, i keep a variety of plants such as multiple mosses (java, fox, cameroon, spiky), ferns (3 varieties of microsorum),
echinodorus (i'm trying to spread the vesuvius variety, it is gorgeous, and perfect for my backgrounds), lots of anubias (probably
my first aquatic plant, and still among my favorites), a few varieties of carpetting plants , and probably others that i can't think of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's said that a picture is worth 1000 words, so instead of writing too much, i'll show you my tanks. My fishroom is far from finished (and it is also my office and my electronics workshop, hence the mess ^^), but i just took some honest pictures that are representative of my setup (so i didn't try to clean shoot from the best angle, so don't be too harsh on me :) )

So here is my older aquarium rack, that i'm replacing (this furniture has wheels, and i built it as a temporary solution, in the end it will hold my 3D printers and my CNC mill):

On the left is my oldest tank, 70*25*40cm. I houses my main sakura shrimp colony (neocaridina davidi), with khuli pangio, ottocinclus, boraras amandae and rasboras.
I think that i'll probably remake this tank in a close future (i had only quartz substrate, because i didn't know any better and added some tropica soil on top), but only after
i make the second level of my aquarium rack. Perhaps i'll simply make a new tank and transfer the contents gradually.

On the right is my home made 45*50*40 90L tank, the first that i glued, it was just a few months ago. It's 8mm glass, braceless. Not perfect, but i'm happy that i did it, and started making my own tanks.
It's not scaped, it has no substrate, and i have no idea of what i'll do with it, for now i'm focused on smaller tanks. (also, i know, the light is ugly, and too low, but it was the protoype for my other lights;
i'll remake a proper light for this tank, and print foots to have the lights farther from the water surface (on my other tanks i made the foot 15cm high)

The tank houses my guppy , 4 corydora sterbai (i can't source more of them, and they don't spawn :( ), and some sakura shrimps.
I built this tanks with something in mind, but my plans changed drastically, so for now, it's more of a storage tank, where i stuff all the plants that have nowhere to go.
Lots of crypts in there (i usually give them to my friends), valisnerias, large balls of java moss, some cameroon moss and spiky moss, echinodorus, etc...

I also store wood in this tank, so that they are ready for other tanks.

Bump:
You can't make a post like that without pictures! I need to see you tanks :)
Hello!
The pictures are on the way, the first one is below, i'm preparing a post with a picture of the second rack, and show my tanks ;)
(i'll also post pictures of each tank later, but i have to upload them somewhere :) )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So now, here is the new aquarium rack. For now, i only have the first level made. It's made of tropical hardwood (muriacataria, aka tiger wood), which is water, mold and parasite resistant,
has very nice figures, and is extremely sturdy. On this level, i have 4 aquariums for now :

From left to right :
home made tank, 45L (50*30*30cm), with JBL shrimpsoil beige. Inside are 20-25 boraras maculatus, 8-10 corydoras pygmaeus, 30-40 yellow king kong shrimps, and 8 neocaridina (6 sakura females, 2 blue velvet males,
i'm trying to get more blues) and 1 nerite snail.
I planted some HC cuba, two varieties of lilaeopsis, some java fern on rocks, spiky moss, postemogon hellferi, some echinodorus vesuvius, and two anubias that i never had previously :
anubias nana pinto, similar to a nana, but with white and green leaves

Anubias nana pangolino:

which are the smallest anubias i ever saw, much smaller than my anubias nana var petite.

I'd also like to get hold of this anubias :

(Anubias glabra), my source doesn't have it in stock, but i'll order it when they do :)

The next tank is a tank in progress, i'm cycling it, it has ADA amazonia soil, but for now the PH
goes incredibly low (5 or less), i hope it will be less acidic later on. For now i planted some clumps of HC cuba, and dropped some plants in the tank, also planted
some lilaeopsis, and a few runners of echinodorus vesuvius, but i did not plan the scape yet. I want to get the tank cycled, and i just went ahed and planted some carpetting plants
to see how well they grow in the amazonia soil (it's my first ADA soil, for now i find it too acidic, but i hope i manage to use it properly afterwards).

The next tank is juste a 25*50*30cm tank, bare, because i just cleaned it with a razor blade (it was CRUSTY) to use it to try the repro of corydoras julii. I have 8 of them in the tank,
and a sponge filter. I keep it bare to be able to spot the eggs, and facilitate large water changes. But i threw almond leaves in it (it grows here), and a few plants.

At last, the tank on the right is a 20L, with tropica soil, dwarf elocharis carpetted on the front, and a few other plants on the back. I have a large ball of java moss in there, and it houses just
one male guppy, and 4 adult sakura shrimps, and plenty of juveniles. it has a very basic filter too, and i rarely feed the tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a closup of my 45L yellow King Kong tank :

The filter is a simple aquael pat mini filter with dual sponges (i use this in my new shrimp tanks).
The shrimps often hang on the sponge, where they collect food dust and stuff.

I recently started this yellow king kong colony (the tank have been set in december), and i have noticed berried females.
The sakura red in the tank are all females, and the two blue velvet are males and i'm trying to get reproduction. I don't have access
to blue velvet anymore, so i'm trying this.
I need to improve the plants density to provide more hiding spots for the shrimplets when they hatch. At some point i'd like to manage the reproduction
of the boraras maculatus; and if i can get the corydoras pygmaeus to lay eggs, i'll be thrilled :)

In this tank i have a GH of 6, KH of 1-2, and ph around 7. TDS is supposed to be at 160-200, but it recently rose to 250, i'll investigate this issue.
I suspect the seiyru stones, i'l try to replace it with something else. For now, i'll do more frequent water changes.

There are 2 substrate colors, because i didn't have enough JBL shrimpsoil brown to get the thickness i wanted. Rather than mix it with other substrate, i decided to
have a clear separation, and i thus have aproximately 1L of JBL manado from an older tank on the right of the tank. Both substrates are separated by seiyru stones.
In the manado area, i planted echinodorus vesuvius and a cryptocorrine, that i don't want to spread to the rest of the tank.
Indeed, this portion will become the back of the aquarium when i rotate it (to fit more tanks on my rack, but as i have not yet done the tanks, i'll keep it that way :) )

By the way, i know that the white foam is ugly, i'll change it soon. I needed it in the preview rack, because the surface was not flat. This time i'll use a 8mm aquarium mat,
when i recieve it.

Bump: By the way, on this picture, you can see the LED lighting system that i made for this tank : i routed chanels in a wood plank, and have the LEDs stuck on an aluminium strip in there.
I then sanded an acrylic sheet on one face to have it diffuse the light a bit.
The metal cylinder in the back is a water temperature probe (23-24°C, i have air conditionning in this room). I'll hide it better behind the pump, next time ^^

The light rests on the 4 white plastic pieces that you see here. I designed those and printed it in PLA, a non-toxic plastic often made of corn starch (i've been using it for years in aquariums,
even for filter fittings in home made filters)
Since many of my tanks are 50cm longs, i can move my lights from one to another if needs be. Furthermore, most of my tanks are 6mm glass, so the feet fit :)

In all cases, i'll also make the 8mm variant of theese feet for my 90L tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome!

I would put your efforts in a new journal here on the forum.:grin2:
Hello, by journal, you mean a post, or is it a functionnality that i'm not aware of?

Bump:

Bump: here is a picture of my 20L tank :

This tank is simple : tropica soil, dwarf hairgrass, lots of java moss, and a few shrimps.
I have 3 guppy in there to eat the mosquito larvae (without fishes, they just multiply in the tanks! And i don't want to do closed tanks.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are posting in "The Lounge and Introductions" at present.

Start a new thread under "Tank Journals" then you won't be moving stuff there or managing two threads for comments etc....
Hello, thanks for the explaination, i will do so :)

By the way, should i make a post for my fishroom progress in there or elsewhere?

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Hello, thanks for the explaination, i will do so :)

By the way, should i make a post for my fishroom progress in there or elsewhere?
Having it in the 'Tank Journals' subsection will be fine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.