The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.... I have a tank that I've been fussing with, as a total noob. It had 4 white skirt tetras (yes, I know, should be more... The tank was given to me with two white skirts and two neons and that's it, slowly building up to avoid adding too much bioload.)

I added three 1.25" black skirts a few days ago. Just did a 50% water change last night and this morning, BOOM. The black skirts are chasing the biggest, now super fat, white skirt around the tank. I looked for a video of skirt tetras spawning, and, yup.

Besides the now 7 skirts (4 white, 3 black) the tank also has 8 neons, 1 molly (don't ask), and a mystery snail.

Is there any chance that I will get some fry out of this that won't be totally eaten up? What can I do to increase the odds at this point?

Or should I not worry about it, and just feel stoked that my fish seem to be thriving in my beginner tank?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
With a small tank, very little, you can take a deep dish, tie some coarse net over the opening and stick some of their favourite spawning plants or even an unrolled green plastic pot scrubber in the middle and see if they will spawn over it again tomorrow morning. Many fish watch for morning light as a cue. You can then remove it and put it down somewhere warm and dark (tetra eggs and fry are often light sensitive) Check back in two days or so to see if there were any eggs that are good, remove eggs going white and fuzzy with an eye dropper.

You have to look really good. I have at times thought I had no eggs only to walk by a few days later with a ring of wrigglers around the dish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.