The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this sponge filter: (bought local, not at this site)
Hagen Elite BioFoam Sponge Filter

The way it works is to connect an air tube directly to a port at the bottom of the lift tube. Big (noisy) bubbles rise, making this less than ideal as a gentle, peaceful filter for a QT or HT. I had planned to just bypass that, pull the stem, and run it on an airstone, but the lift tube is too small for any airstone I've found (ID approx 12 mm). Is there a skinny airstone on the market? Otherwise I'm going to have to mod this thing, and I don't really feel like doing that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about a bubble wall of the type you can cut to shorten? Something along these lines. The ones I've had in the past like that have been pretty narrow--could be worth a shot.

Edit: I also just noticed these on the Petsmart website. Judging by the ratio of air stone to the part the air line slips over, they look like they could be skinny enough too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about a bubble wall of the type you can cut to shorten? Something along these lines. The ones I've had in the past like that have been pretty narrow--could be worth a shot.

Edit: I also just noticed these on the Petsmart website. Judging by the ratio of air stone to the part the air line slips over, they look like they could be skinny enough too.
I didn't realize there were any you could cut. I'll have to look into those, as well as the skinny ones you link. They do indeed look promising. I never go to Petsmart because they aren't conveniently located, but maybe I'll have to swing by (with calipers in hand!).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just rechecked, and the opening is dead on 12 mm. I'm not sure how much space around the stone is needed for decent lift; I got out of engineering before learning enough fluid dynamics to guess. I'd say probably the more the better? I guess I could make my own if I could get the right wood.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Can you use a diffuser that is made for the uplift tube in an under gravel filter? What about plugging an air line and poking a bunch of holes in it with a hot needle?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Turningdizzy I didn't even know that was a separate thing til I just googled it. Last time I used an UGF ('94?) I just used air stones. I will look into those. And give a bunch of pinholes a try. Nothin' like free!

As for DIY wood, I googled that a little too. I wonder if there's any reason I couldn't just cut off an inch or do of this (I think it's narrow enough, or could be trimmed) and glue up an old barb.
1/4 in. x 36 in. Basswood Square Dowel, 8304U at The Home Depot - Mobile

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are there's from Lee's, but (according to customer review) they are 16mm (5/8")

Robot Check

I remember back in the day, slender white diffusers for UG filters but could not find them in a search.

I am currently using chop stick pieces in the line for co2 diy diffusion, I can't see why couldn't do the same.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have one of those in a betta tank now.I'm going to check tomorow and see if a Lee's discard-a-stone will fit down the tube.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you wish to use Lee's wood air stone, which is too big for the filter without modding the actual filter if you can connect pvc to the filter you could plumb large pvc to fit the Lee's air stone. As long as it has a bit of space around the air stone it will suck in the water. I've diyed jet lifters and the best stone I found was the 2 Inch lees

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
I used the lee's discard-a-stone

Robot Check

it fits if I remove the top elbow,and works,but with the tube being that narrow,it's pointless,because the small bubbles immediately become a few large bubbles.Plus with the elbow removed,you can't direct the flow.

May as well leave the tube on there and use it as designed.BTW,those are a very old sponge filter,I think they might have been one of the originals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts