The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I'm setting up an old 10 gal for plants, but i was wondering if i should put a single or a twin 36 watt T5 compact over it? I dont got much experience with keeping plants, so i'm a little worried that 72 watts might be "too much".

The tank measures w20"xh12"xd10".

Thanks.

/Cipla

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It's not too much, but with that lighting you do need full pressurized CO2 and a balanced fertilizer regime. 36 would be fine also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I allready got the pressurized Co2 system, so thats not a prob.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I dont got much experience with keeping plants, so i'm a little worried that 72 watts might be "too much".
Then definitely go with the 36 for now. You'll be able to grow pretty much anything.

You did get off to a GREAT start by getting your pressurized CO2 from the get go. :proud:

Get a good substrate and it's off to the races!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
...put a single or a twin 36 watt T5 compact...
I have a 2x40 Orbit fixture on a 10g w/pressurized CO2. It's really 76w now. The rear PC is a stock square pin Current dual daylight 40w 6700K/10,000K bulb and the front PC is a square pin 36w ADA 8000K bulb. I really like the ADA 8000K bulb. It's a nice crisp white color. I bought 2, but I haven't put the other one in yet.

AHSupply's 36w kits come with the straight pin 2G11 German style moisture-resistant endcap. The Current and the ADA bulbs require the square pin 10Q Japanese style moisture-resistant endcap.

If you decide to try either of these two square pin bulbs, you can ask Kim to add or exchange the straight pin endcap for the square pin endcap. These are the same square pin end caps that come with the 96w kits.

ADA 8000K bulb: http://www.adgshop.com/8000K_PC_bulb_p/108-060.htm
Current 6700K/10,000K bulb: http://current-usa.com/sunpaq.html

I'm running the 8000K for 10 hours and I use the back dual daylight for a 4 hour noon burst. This works nicely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i'll just start out with one 36 watt, to see how thing goes.

Before i read the last couple of replys i ordered two 36 watts, but with individual controllers, so i'll just run one of them :icon_lol:

I'm going to use Tropicas PlantSubstrat, as i have good experiences with it. And i'm a little patriotic, you know Tropica is danish :icon_lol:

I checked out AHSupply, but since i'm in Denmark i figured the freight would be expensive, so i ordered some from a Danish shop. Ended up paying what would be around 132 USD, including two bulbs, one around 6500 kelvin the other a little higher. The actual cost of the kits would probably have been lower at AH, but i guess that with the freight it would have gotten more expensive.

Would you recommend me to run one of the lights a few hours a day like you do?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts