The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still working on what I want to stock in my 29gal.

So far my list has 5/6 panda cories, 10/12 cardinal tetras and some amanos. I also want something a little bigger and a little more 'stand out'. A family member had two sword tails, but they have both passed. I really liked the look of them, but with them being livebearers, I also don't want to be dealing with fry. And after some reading it doesn't look like such a good idea to keep two males together (prefer the males with the swords over two females, plus the females can apparently hold eggs for awhile, so there's still a risk of a lot of potential fry).

So, I would really like something bright (orange, red, yellow). Something a little larger to stand out. But only one or two, so something happy without a big shoal. I'm thinking Betta again, but I always have bettas, hah! Thought it was time to consider something new. Any fun suggestions?

·
Registered
254 Posts
First thought that would make a great addition IMO is a pair of german blue rams, or one of their color morphs(electric blue ram, or gold ram). Second, and I don't have experience with them, is a male paradise fish. Another thought is a single angelfish, starting small, but I don't know how they would do with the amanos. Both the german rams and angelfish would be better to add last since they do better in a matured tank.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I agree with chevyguy on the rams. They are not too big but definitely bigger than the other fish in the tank. If you have never done GBR's then I think you should try. I wouldn't do an angel though, they can get pretty big.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You could go with Electric Blue Rams (My personal Favorite), or some type of Apistogramma, Apistogrammas are harder then GBR's or Electric's but in some cases they can have a wider variety of colors to them and they dont get too big either, a pretty good center piece fish in my opinion

·
Registered
105 Posts
Please dont do the paradise fish! Killed all but one of my glowlight tetras.

·
Registered
194 Posts
+1 for rams , while i was readin post it was first thing that popped up in my head and then i saw others saying it ^^ , unfortunatly i have alot of luck with things but not rams so i have no advice lol . but german blues look amazing ! or go with a small school of preacox rainbows , big enough and active enough to spice up ur tank ! the males have the broght red fins , females orange fins whith blue shimmer on body ^^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts