The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know what some will say... When you get livebearers from the fishstore they are most likely pregnant but I have a special case here. When I started getting into the planted aspect of tanking I bought a few mollies, don't ask me why, to put in my newly planted tank. I ended up giving all but one away and that one molly I kept was preggers. A few days after she dropped her fry I found her sucked to the filter intake dead unfortunately.

All in all only a single fry made it past 1/2 inch due to the others being eaten and what not. Now that single molly has been with me for almost a year and he/she (I have no idea what it is but after today I'm assuming its a she) is only about an inch and a half long. I have NEVER had another molly in that tank EVER and tonight I have small replicas of this molly all over the tank and I don't know HOW. HOW did this happen??? There are little black mollies swimming amongst the foreground dwarf sag and in the back along the giant vals... I mean they are everywhere and I don't know how I got them. Other species in the tank include harlequin rasboras, glass cats, oto cats, SAEs, BN plecos, and hatchets. Can anyone clue me in on whether or not the mollies can just spawn at will? I'm am truely baffled here.

Thanks,
Abe

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well aparently parthenogenesis is seen in amazon mollies BUT I don't know if my lil' molly is amazonian... I mean, I purchased it from the LFS so I highly doubt it but I guess it could happen but I mean a year with no contact from its own species and then BOOM kids! My jaw is still down on the ground with this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what Wendy, I sure will if I can get one close enough to the glass they are super small. Give me a minute here. I'll also snap the adult for comparison but I got to admit looking at the fin and overall structure of the fish it looks like a tiny molly.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Guys. Come on. Livebearers can hold sperm for months at a time and use it at their own discretion. Has happened to me with endlers twice. *clarification complete* ;)

Edit: Just read more carefully. I don't know. Maybe there was another you didnt know about which fertilized this one and then died. *shrug*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, before I posted that I knew nothing about amazon mollies, but they live in northeast Mexico and Texas, so I suppose it is possible that one was collected with the mollies from your pet store. Crazy! Some interesting stuff. I keep marmorkrebs which are an all female parthenogenic species, I didn't know there were any fish with this trait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.