The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching my CPD fry this morning, and noticed that one had 3 white dots on it that looks like ich. :angryfire There are 15 CPDs all together in the tank, plus otos, and none of the rest have any spots. The one seems active and happy enough, but I caught him and quarantined him for the time being.
So after some reading, it looks like if one fish has ich, they all have ich. Should I keep this one separated, or just throw him back in the tank? I think he would be less stressed in the tank, but I don't want this spreading.
Also, I've read that temp + salt is one of the best ways to treat ich - but my tank is currently 72-74, and I don't know how well my fish, let alone my shrimp, would handle temps over 80.
The newest fish in the tank were added over 3 weeks ago - could it be the low temp that caused the delay before any symptoms showed, or could it be that the white spots are not ich, but something else?
I've never had ich in my tanks before, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cherry shrimp and amanos are in the tank. I'm really surprised I was able to catch this one fish, I doubt I could catch them all - too many plants in the tank. Though I think you're right about that being the most effective way to treat this...
I have the one fish in high temp + salt now, and threw some salt in the big tank, and have started increasing the temp. I'm just not sure how high a temperature or salinity would be safe given the livestock I have, and whether or not I should keep the one with symptoms separated. Is there anything else I should be doing to help my fish?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shrimp are NOT susceptible to ich, do you don't need to worry about them or move them.

If I were you, I would remove all the fish to a hospital tank and raise the temp slowly to at least 82, but 86 is much better. Ich won't survive at 86, and fish seem to tolerate this pretty well. I've never had a problem with fish not tolerating 86, even with white cloud mountain minnows and they are kept at 62 degrees in their display tank.

I never use salt with heat treatment. I think it's unnecessary. 2 weeks of heat is enough to take care of ich. Salt may speed up the process but you should still wait 2 weeks before bringing the temperature down again. And so, I find salt not needed.

I don't like increasing temps in my planted tanks because I don't like bothering the plants. Moving all the fish (not shrimp) to a hospital tank is best. If you don't have another tank, a bucket or rubbermaid container works too.

If you don't want to increase the temp, you can medicate. But I think a heat treatment won't be as stressful as medication.

Have you googled if other folks have done heat treatments with CPDs? If other aquarists have noticed problems, they would probably post on a forum about it.

And if you're having trouble catching your fish, try leaving their favorite food in a net left in the tank. Or, catch them in their sleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.