The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo - instead of doing a school of tetras, I was thinking that maybe I should do a single, larger fish.

It just needs to get along with shrimp - and not be a goldfish haha. I really, really, hate goldfish.

So what are your ideas? I was thinking an angelfish would be cool - but I don't know about how well they'll do with shrimp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any fish that is big enough to look good as a centerpiece fish in a 30g is probably big enough to eat adult cherry shrimp too. What do you like in a fish? What fish do you find more interesting of others? How do you want your tanks to 'feel'? You can't know what type of fish to get unless you know what kind of fish you like.

With that said, I would forget the shrimp and do shell dwellers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any fish that is big enough to look good as a centerpiece fish in a 30g is probably big enough to eat adult cherry shrimp too. What do you like in a fish? What fish do you find more interesting of others? How do you want your tanks to 'feel'? You can't know what type of fish to get unless you know what kind of fish you like.

With that said, I would forget the shrimp and do shell dwellers.
Sadly I've turned into a shrimp fanatic. I love them. I'm even getting a dedicated shrimp tank.

I'm looking for this tank to have some color. Maybe not too flashy - but I want it to have some color... And shrimp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the shrimp are more important than fish then tetras would actually be a good choice. I'm having trouble thinking of anything non 'small-and-schooling' (tetras rasboras danios etc) that won't go after cherry shrimp. Maybe someone else can think of something?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the shrimp are more important than fish then tetras would actually be a good choice. I'm having trouble thinking of anything non 'small-and-schooling' (tetras rasboras danios etc) that won't go after cherry shrimp. Maybe someone else can think of something?
Are there any midlevel catfish? Maybe a pictus? I've seen them at mid level.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If it will fit in its mouth, almost all fish will eat shrimp. If you don't want a large center piece fish, but something with a lot of flash and color, you could always go with a Betta, they do not get big enough to do much to the shrimp population, but they will probably try and eat any shrimp small enough to fit in it's mouth.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What about a pair of longfin albino bristlenose plecos?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Bristlenose Plecos get too big for a 30, and a pair is one too many.

Already noted above: Just about all fish will eat shrimp.

Mid-level cats: Glass cats. They have tiny mouths, and tend to hang out under the filter, in maximum water flow. MAYBE they won't go for the shrimp as much as some other fish???

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Bristlenose Plecos get too big for a 30, and a pair is one too many.

Already noted above: Just about all fish will eat shrimp.

Mid-level cats: Glass cats. They have tiny mouths, and tend to hang out under the filter, in maximum water flow. MAYBE they won't go for the shrimp as much as some other fish???
I have to disagree. A 30 gallon tank is not too small for bristlenose pleco's. I also doubt that a bristlenose will eat shrimp, whereas a glass catfish might. Besides, the op was looking for a larger (and apparently showcase) fish - transparent glass catfish won't fit the bill.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+1 ^^
Just give him a decent piece of driftwood and decent flow and he will be happy for years.

v3

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just put harlequin rasboras in my cherry tank with some newborn cherries and they don't even pay attention to them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Betas can decimate shrimp (and snail) populations, whether or not they eat them. Just attack, kill and swim away. It's fast and pretty brutal.

Glass cats may be too large to keep with shrimp, but ghost cats (Kryptopterus minor) are smaller and can make a fantastic display in a tank. I fell in love with a school of them at an LFS one day and am considering setting up a species tank. They don't do particular well with other fish swimming around/through their school, but I think they'd be fine with cherries or similar shrimp. Unfortunately, they can be finicky eaters and are sensitive to swings in water params.

Decent wikipedia article on ghost cats

·
Registered
67 Posts
This post is 7 years old, so you may not get a response from the person who made that comment.

But I agree that angels get too big for a 30-gallon tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts