The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a single 48" Finnex Ray 2 on a standard 120g (4x2x2) give me enough light to grow anything? Will that give poor spread with all the light in the middle of the 2' width? thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've seen that plenty of people here are using this fixture on 75g tanks, quite successfully to achieve 'medium' light levels. A standard 75g is the same length as the 120g. The 120 is almost 6" wider front-to-back, so I would have 3" in front and back that might not be 'medium' light, and that's fine with me. What worries me is that the 120 is 4" deeper (almost 20%). Any thoughts? Anyone doing LEDs on a tank this deep or deeper? thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support scubasmac. 22" is a fair estimate, and if the light is centered on the top of the tank, it's only 25" to the bottom sides. According to the PAR data posted in this forum for this fixture, that should give ~54 par directly under the light, which is the very bottom end of the 'high lighting' range. That should be more than enough for me, I might even need to raise the light. I'm not sure about the assumptions of light levels at the bottom sides, especially how this is affected by the beam angle and reflection, but if the light was aimed directly at the bottom sides and covered the 25" in a direct line, the PAR should be ~48, which is still the top end of 'medium lighting'. Presumably because the fixture is not tipped toward the corner and there is a limited angle of projection, the actual levels at the bottom sides will be somewhat less than that, but overall, this should still be plenty of light for a low tech tank. Still, it would be nice to hear from someone who has tried this fixture on a bigger tank like a 120! Or the Finnex rep who sometimes posts here...
cheers

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The PAR charts for the FugeRay and Ray2 lines are here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944

The 4' Ray2 is listed at 50 PAR at 24" deep directly under the light and 43 PAR at 24" deep, 9 inches to the front or back.

They seem to have a decent spread on them, not a narrow straight down 'beam'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.