The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my singapore wood shrimp a day ago and at first he wen't and hid, which I expected, but he still hasn't come out to filter feed yet. there is tons of stuff in the water column and I even crush up algae tablets and he doesn't filter feed. will he start? because I set up a rock near the filter output just for him to filter feed.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It may be feeding at night. I kept two of these shrimp for a year or so. One never did anything but filter and the other never did anything but pick at the substrate. In any case, it should be fine, especially considering that it has only been in the tank for a day.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i didn't see mine for the first week after putting him in and even now it is a rare occurance to see him out feeding. He has moulted twice since being in the tank.
To feed i use dried rotofiers (he seems to like them) just rehydrate a small bit in some water and place into the out flow from the filter.
i set out a branch in the water flow but he has never used it he prefers a leaf much closer to the outlet (but i have caught him hiding down behind some plants feeding on the water flow passing by them).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have had one for almost 2 years. It is in a 20 gallon tank that has lots of plants and wood. I have rarely seen it filter feed, it prefers to pick at the bottom. There have been periods when I would see it at the front of the tank on a daily basis, and then it would disapear for a month. Every time I decide it has died, it makes an appearance!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine has always been real shy. Normally as soon as I turn the lights on he goes and hides. At one point I thought he was dead as I hadn't seen him for a week, but he had apparently molted and was extra shy while waiting for it to harden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.