The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to raise my Finnex FugeRay Planted+ LED light about 4 to 6 inches above my tank... and I'm having a difficult time.

I was going to hang it from the ceiling, but let's just say that that didn't work out so well. I also tried looking online and on Finnex's website for some sort of raisers/extenders. I'm quite surprised they don't make them. :/

Do any of you have easy/simple ideas or ways that I can raise my light?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've seen some pretty nice DIY light stands you can make out of electrical conduit. I was thinking of making one myself for the same reason as you but I didn't already own all the necessary tools. You need a pipe bender tool and a power drill to make one. Cheap hand pipe bender is about $60 and I didn't feel like spending the money. The rest of the other materials can be cheap though. I would just use a cheap retractable light hook to raise and lower the light unit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
if your fishtank is close to a wall you can mount a shelf above the tanks and hang the light from the shelf instead of the ceiling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen some pretty nice DIY light stands you can make out of electrical conduit. I was thinking of making one myself for the same reason as you but I didn't already own all the necessary tools. You need a pipe bender tool and a power drill to make one. Cheap hand pipe bender is about $60 and I didn't feel like spending the money. The rest of the other materials can be cheap though. I would just use a cheap retractable light hook to raise and lower the light unit.
I also saw the DIY electrical conduit stands. And like you, I don't want to spend that kind of money. Nor am I very good with building things, lol! Not to mention I have a feeling my cat would try to tightrope walk the thing. :icon_lol: Do you think you could link to the type of hook you're talking about? Thanks!

if your fishtank is close to a wall you can mount a shelf above the tanks and hang the light from the shelf instead of the ceiling.
It is against a wall, and I was considering that. I'm just a little nervous of my cat getting up there... But it's an option.

I was hoping there was some sort of thing to make the little "legs" on the light stand on something. Or make a type of leg thing myself. Hmmm. Maybe I could use the left over armature wire I have. I'm going to have to experiment. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts