The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning a spare 40b into a sump for a 150g I'll be getting and I would like to keep the sump as simple as possible. I would also like to get a refugium in there for shrimp that I'm not able to have in the main tank.
I haven't sketched it out yet but it's pretty simple to imagine.

The tank is 36"x18"x14" (where I'll keep the water line). The space will be allocated as such:
*4" for water entrance
*7" Poret foam
*12" Refugium
*7" Poret foam
*6" area for return pump and heater

The only dividers in the tank would be 3" high or so to contain the soil for the refugium.

Is the 14" of Poret foam enough to act as both the mechanical filtration and the bio media?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here is a link to my simple sump with refugium. It is a 20gal long. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=539209&page=2

The corner intake section is 5" x 6" at 11" tall. The water flows into the filter sock and then up over the edges of intake section. Although not in the picture, there is 1" 30ppi poret foam in the intake section around the interior rim. The second barrier in the photo is not there anymore. I used a 2" thick piece of 10ppi poret foam as the final barrier between the refugium and the return pump. However, there is a piece of acrylice at the base of the foam to keep the substrate in place.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts