The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

For lack of better words...... They look more like silver sperm. Long tail and tiny heads. They might be more translucent then silver. The light makes them look silver. They try to swim to the top of the tank. They don't swim side to side, just up. They don't stop moving, ever! I don't have any fish in the tank yet but I'm sure they would eat them. They are about 1/4". Anyone know what these things are? I looked at the sticky here and they aren't on there. Should I worry?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess is planaria. They are harmless flatworms that tend to happen in tanks with too much food matter or excess nutrients. If you have a heavily planted tank, they may just be gobbling up all the extra goodies in the water. They are pretty harmless, and fish will eat them if given the chance. However, if you want to get rid of them, I suggest 50% water changes for the next few days until they are under control. My cardinals nom them up whenever they show up in my tanks though, and I have never seen any ill effects from this.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! I will try to get a pic when the lights come on. I can't promise that it will be a good pic though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
have you taken anything out of the wild and put it into your tank? It almost sounds like they are clawed frog tabpoles. They are a clear looking tadpole with short wiskers and swim in groups always kind of up at an angle. Hard to say without a picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.