The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting 4-5 silver dollars for my 6' heavily planted tank. I know their vegetarians but how much will they eat my plants if I feed them with regular food?

A) will it be a barren post apocalyptic wasteland, or

B) they will just nibble at the finer type plants occasionally?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I still haven't given up. Does any know if they have a favourite plant or plants they will eat first?

I was thinking I could keep them busy by stocking alot of their favourite and maybe they'd leave the others alone?

Or am I being overly optimistic and they will just devour everything in sight?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I put a very thick anubias nana into a tank with 5 baby silver dollars a few months ago. The next day when I came into work they had completely eaten the leaves down. They are vicious towards plants. Be ready for destruction!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Ok, I still haven't given up. Does any know if they have a favourite plant or plants they will eat first?

I was thinking I could keep them busy by stocking alot of their favourite and maybe they'd leave the others alone?

Or am I being overly optimistic and they will just devour everything in sight?
We're not joking.... they'll eat whatever you put in there. It'd prob be cheaper to buy a new tank....

Would you consider keeping a pack of wolves with a flock of sheep? That is essentially the question you are asking, just less bloody.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I keep my 3 silver dollars that are around 7" now in a 180 tank with fake plants.
They only left 1 live plant alone, and I dont know what it is. It had large single leaf per stem.
Started a new tank for plants.

·
Registered
71 Posts
somewhat...

Clown loaches will disturb your substrate.
Clown loaches do 'disturb' the substrate but only slightly as they nose around looking for food in much the same way corydoras catfish do. Clown loaches (Chromobotia macracanthus) do get quite large and are a long lived fish. As they become larger it is possible they could uproot some plants as they root for food. They can also be a bit rambunctious and might do some damage to more lightly rooted stems as they gambol about the tank. Clowns also do best in groups so realize that six or so foot long, deep bodied fish can stir up a tank if they get to chasing each other around. Though I have not observed that type of behavior very often with Clown loaches. Good luck.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=10897&AT=clown+loach

stu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.