The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dedicated my 20 long to shrimp and some Heterandia Formosa and Endlers, in the hopes of the cherries breeding.

I can see some berried females, and it hit me -

These little guys are poop machines, and regular vacuuming has been necessary. Excatly how do you vacuum a subsrate that has 1 millimeter babies hanging out on top of it?

Thanks in advance!

ingg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get lots of plants that'll use the tiny shrimp poo as fertilizer. Do weekly water changes. I wouldn't dare vacuum my RCS tank cause of what you said: tiny babies cover the substrate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I rarely do gravel cleaning in my shrimp tank but if I do I use a piece of pantyhose over the end of the gravel vac held on by a rubber band.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had to vacuum my shrimp tank once, into a bucket. After vacuuming, I looked long and hard at the debris to make sure I didn't have any shimp in it. Sure enough it did. Pulled three of the little guys back out and returned them to the tank.

Jon

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geez I can spell, nice first post to the forums ingg.

Thanks guys. Tank is 2wpg and lightly/moderately planted right now, I'll look into more low and medium light plants to fill it out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I usually use a sponge over the intake of the hose. I used panty hose once and when i rinsed it out there was 2 babies stuck to it and the pressure of the water killed them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm, why bother. Your endler will eat up all the baby shrimps anyway. They will kill off more baby shirmps than your vacum can possible suck up....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Get lots of plants that'll use the tiny shrimp poo as fertilizer. Do weekly water changes. I wouldn't dare vacuum my RCS tank cause of what you said: tiny babies cover the substrate.
Same here, I have a gravel vaccum but I have never used it ... maybe when I setup the 27 gallon .....:icon_roll

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Your endler will eat up all the baby shrimps anyway.
They will kill off more baby shrimps than your vacuum can possible suck up....
agreed. Endlers, even juveniles will pick at anything small hoping it may be food.
I've watched them try to nibble snail feelers right off my Ramshorns head,
and Endlers will keep picking at shrimp until the shrimp are forced to stay in hiding.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses!

I see Zebrepleco's point on babies, hopefully enough java moss for cover and some make it through moltings... I'm not looking for shrimp population explosion, just sustainability.

I've read (and seen) about some densely planted tanks where tiny fish such as these are mixed with shrimp and the shrimp do get babies to make it through to good enough size... hopefully I can get dense enough planting to make it work.

Those things are why I was asking. Sounds as if it is a risky proposition, at best, going to give it a whirl and see how it turns out.

btw, awesome moss rope, spypet, I want to make one now!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well, lately, I have run out of heater for tanks, so for breeding shrimp, I have taken to floating a little critter-box in an existing tank and putting the 'berried' shrimp in there with a whole huge wad of java moss and feeding very moderatly. That way you could have your little babies grow up without worrying about them being eaten.

·
Registered
400 Posts
FWIW I have had cherries breed and produce babies in an outdoor tank in winter with just water plants and sand.......

No heater no filter no lights....no electricity whatsoever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts