The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to setup a low-tech planted tank and I will be housing Discus in this tank in the future. The tank is a standard 75G

I've explored a few options for substrates and due to budget issues, I have been thinking of trying out Pool Filter Sand.

The idea is to have E. Tennelus as the foreground/carpet and some other stem plants like crypts with them. I have a few boxes of Seachem Flourish Tablets.

My Lightning Would be:
2 x 36" Coralife 96W lights (can add 1-2 more if necessary)
1 x 48" Coralife T5 tube 6700k spectrum (was specified for plants?)

I would like to know if going with Pool Filter Sand with Flourish Tabs would be a good idea. If not then what are some other alternatives?

I dont mind trying SMS (assuming I can find them in Vancouver, BC):icon_mrgr

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Your substrate plan sounds like a good one, though you may need to use CO2 to keep up with your lighting...

You really can use whatever you want for a substrate- there are pros and cons to all of them. Take a few reads through some of the other threads in this forum and you'll hear all kinds of debates and more than you ever wanted to know about glorified dirt. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
PFS will work fine and the root tabs for your rooted plants is a good idea but keep in mind that T5 fixture is more light than a standard T12 bulb and all of the WPG figures are based on T12 not T5 so your lighting is going to be a bit higher than you think.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone in the Great White North having much luck finding SMS or Turface locally so PFS is good backup plan.

- Brad

·
Registered
987 Posts
Pfs

I was waiting on special ordered Eco Complete when I finally got fed up. I bought 50 lbs of PFS and 10 lbs of black gravel and I'm glad I did! The sand looks awesome but varies pretty much by supplier; mine is mostly white. You can always cap your sand too and its cheap as hell! I paid 6.87 for my bag + tax. whoo hoo! :hihi:

PS I do make sure I fertilize my tank appropriately especially because my sand has no nutrients.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts