The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I decided to go with live plants in my 90 gallon tank after moving accross the country and setting it back up. I knew nothing about planted tanks and had no idea what I was in store for either. The one things I'm glad I did was buy a decent substrate before topping it with gravel.

I ended up buying a mixture of aquatic plants and a bunch of bog plants that I bought thinking they were true aquatic plants. After alittle research and then anger, those were removed. I read up on C02, ended up making my own DIY CO2, bought another light fixture for 2 more cheap T8 bulbs on the tank after reading 1 single T8 wasn't going to grow even the hardiest plants. Then came the fertz and liquid carbon and everything else. The tank is at about 1 watt per gallon now.

Well 2 months into it, I'm fully addicted to my tank and I've already bought a used 55 and 25 gallon that I've resealed and looking forward to setting up more planted tanks! Anyways, here's my tank over the last 2 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I had no idea, I bought my first batch of plants from petsmart, I think literally half of their stock were probably bog plants. I had no idea, I just picked whatever I thought looked cool at the time. I figured if they were underwater when sold, why would I even question if they weren't a true aquatic plant. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've upgraded lights from 3, 32 watt T8's to 4, 54 watt T5's, added a few new plants. Just wanted to update with a new pic, you can see some progression in the plants. Still having fun :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5 new discus, tank is abit cloudy, after big excel dose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just picked up another discus, was at petco of all places and cheap, had to do a double take when I saw him in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If you don't mind my saying so, your discus are far from show quality, but....hey, your tank looks great, and the plants are beautiful - good work !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol, never said anything about them being show quality, what a callous comment. Anyways show quality or not, they are my first discus I've owned and I'm happy with them. I won't tell them what you said. :p Not to mention when I ordered them I bought "assorted discus", I didn't want to pay top dollar and have a few hundred dollars die on me never having experience with them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you don't mind my saying so, your discus are far from show quality, but....hey, your tank looks great, and the plants are beautiful - good work !
I kind of took offense to that comment as well and their not my fish. Its kind of like telling someone their kid is ugly. Just my 2cents thats all.

I have a 90 as well with angels. Planted very nicely, good job.:proud:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts