The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use aquarium safe silicone sealant to attach plants to driftwood instead of superglue.

I know others have used superglue but it still kind of freaks me out since there are so many chemicals in it. I have used superglue to repair electronics before and the fumes have destroyed the electronics.

Can silicone be used instead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've used super glue gel for years in our saltwater aquariums with no issues. As long as it's cyanoacrylate based glue others are known to cause problems but with cyanoacrylate there has been no reported issues I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The silicone is fare more dangerous since as noted above its only aquarium safe once fully (100%) cured. The superglue is safe to use underwater without a concern.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
As an alternative to glue, I use fine nylon threat to tie the plants to the driftwood. You can find it in clear, dark green or brown so you can match your drift wood, and it will be almost invisible. Don't tie it too tight, just snug enough to hold the plant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.