The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a tank need to be broken down completely to reseal or should the silicone seams on the inside be scraped and redone? The silicone in my 180 is pulling up in the corners (like it was hit over and over with a mag float)
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Step by Step instructions here:

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

I've used this process three times. The first two were on my 240G. The first reseal didn't work, I didn't put enough silicone on, and I only waited 2 days before test filling.

Second time was a success, 240G has been holding water for months.

Third time was this past weekend, too early to tell if it's going to work or not.

The whole process is very tedious, especially if you have a dirty tank. You'll need razor blades, and one of those razor blade scraper/holder things. I went though about 5 razor blades each time.

good luck

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Given that you have a 180 gallons of potential carpet wash, and you will have to take it down to clean it up first, I'd say take it apart and do the job properly. Have some friends over to help scrape, lift, and hold. Order pizza and non-alcoholic beverages.

If the beads inside are coming off they may be pulling some of the sealant out of the joints. That would eventually make a mess. Taking it all apart, rebuilding and recaulking the corners will provide wet silicone to wet silicone and adhesion to the glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.