The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of driftwood. I also have a piece of slate. I have 2 adhesives. Question: Do I use 100% silicone aquarium sealant or do I use cyanoacrylate based super glue?

I'm looking for sturdy, and I haven't had the best luck with silicone sealant, but I don't know how the super glue will hold up.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Both work, I mean you can't put your own bodyweight on either and expect it to hold, but they both work. Super glue is more tricky to make work because it won't bond to slate as instantly as it will to wood. There are methods to make it work where you use cottonballs and the liquid type superglue. Or you can use the gel type and prop the wood up so it doesn't move for like 30 minutes while the superglue sets.

Anyway both will work but it should mostly just be used to hold the wood underwater until it waterlogs. Over time the wood itself will deteriorate letting go of whatever glue (be it superglue or silicone) is used.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use the superglue for plants on rocks and wood, never tried it for anything large and heavy. I have used silicone in the past, to glue rock, glass, and other hardscape. The key with silicone is, it has to completely cure. Once it's set it's pretty strong.

Reactions: Hania41806

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both work, I mean you can't put your own bodyweight on either and expect it to hold, but they both work. Super glue is more tricky to make work because it won't bond to slate as instantly as it will to wood. There are methods to make it work where you use cottonballs and the liquid type superglue. Or you can use the gel type and prop the wood up so it doesn't move for like 30 minutes while the superglue sets.

Anyway both will work but it should mostly just be used to hold the wood underwater until it waterlogs. Over time the wood itself will deteriorate letting go of whatever glue (be it superglue or silicone) is used.
Ok, well I'm looking for stuff that will hold up in the aquarium forever basically. I think I will try to screw it to the piece of slate somehow.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The best way I've seen for a permanent solution is to drill a small hole through the slate and anchor the wood to it with a stainless steel screw and washer. Just make sure the hardware is stainless, and that you thoroughly wash them to get rid of any residual machining oils.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best way I've seen for a permanent solution is to drill a small hole through the slate and anchor the wood to it with a stainless steel screw and washer. Just make sure the hardware is stainless, and that you thoroughly wash them to get rid of any residual machining oils.
yep, will do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts