The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
can someone please recommend me one? i need to reseal the thank. how long it takes for it fully dried?
Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have used this Aquarium Silicone Sealant | AAP, Dow Corning 100% | Fish Safe with good results. I have also used GE silicone I from the hardware store. I liked the AAP/Aquarium Sealants better because it dried more clear and bonded better with the glass.
After 1 year the GE had some alge creep under the silicone, the AAP/Aquarium Sealants did not. This is why I assumed it has boned better.

·
Are these real?
15,696 Posts
Depending on the temperature, humidity, and type of silicone, it takes about 24 hours for it to cure.

Surface prep is important - the glass needs to be absolutely clean for a good bond.

As for the type - many work, but if the glue is exposed to the water by all means avoid silicone with -cides in it (fungicide, algicide, whatnotcide).

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,340 Posts
Depending on the temperature, humidity, and type of silicone, it takes about 24 hours for it to cure.

Surface prep is important - the glass needs to be absolutely clean for a good bond.

As for the type - many work, but if the glue is exposed to the water by all means avoid silicone with -cides in it (fungicide, algicide, whatnotcide).
Just to expand on that a tad bit just because it says 100% silicone does not mean it won't contain those "cides".

I've used, and so have many others here, the GE 1. For greater strength I use the Dow 795 as that is what Disney uses for there systems. Plus it's a help that it sticks to slate given I love to refurb Metalframe tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts