The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just tested my tap water to measure SiO2 levels, the reading is off the chart at 6.0+ ppm. I know test kits are often unreliable but it's a very clear reading and not possible to misinterpret.

I've been struggling with Brown Diatoms in my tank since I started it last year and just can't seem to get rid of it. Would such a high reading be the cause?

Is there any way to remove Silicate from water? (without having to use 100% RO Water).

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't think it is proven that brown diatom algae is caused by silicates in the water. It may be, and it may not be. The best evidence that it isn't caused by silicates is that it usually disappears on its own, and doesn't come back with water changes which should be adding more silicates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a four year old planted tank 90G always working to get the silicates under control or they take over the tank my city water is 7.82 mlg low to 46.03 mlg high in silicates that is in different times of the year. I use Phosphate silicate removing Media all the time to keep it under control . I try everything RO with HS they dont do much after 100G silicates bypast the membrane is just PITA .Any good Ideas out there ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.