The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows what the Silica levels are in Colorado Springs city water? I have had pretty bad diatom algae and I have heard Silica levels affect it. I suspect it might be because of my Lava rocks, but was also wondering how much the city water has. I don't have pool sand, though my aquarium is only about 2 months old, which could also be the problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the city water quality report. It told about just about every except silicates. I have a feeling that is all they are going to point me to. Does anyone else from colorado springs use city water and have diatom problems?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safe t sorb. I have not heard of it leaching silicate so I am thinking it might be just because it hasn't been setup long enough or my Lava rocks.

Thank you for letting me know about the water, that is one thing I can rule out, and if that is the case maybe more water changes will help. I guess I will ride it out a little longer and see what happens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With most algae yes, but from what I have read Silica is the biggest reason for diatoms. Unless all the articles I have read have been wrong, which is always possible..

I have snails and otos and although they have helped a little, they aren't keeping up. Especially on the fine leaves of the small plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.