The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a lot of trouble with angels, about to give up, but my next plan is purchase from a breeder. I am at 80 degrees, zero on everything, plants galore and doing great, ph is too high (over 7) so I will do 50% changes until ph <7 w/ 50/50 RO and will keep nurse tank param. as equal to 55 gal. tank as possible and move fish within 1 week if breeder guarantees quality I also have 2 Corey's and a Beta that do great in the tank.

I guess my question is who is a good source for livestock and is there any planted tank folks out there who have good luck with angels esp. ones purchased lately.

Thanks everyone for helping me achieve success in my planted tanks!!!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have kept angels in a ph of 7-7.5 for a good 10 years. no prob. the only time its a big prob is if they are wilds and yes those need low ph. most angels now do not requite the low ph like they did years ago. but yes the key is to get good quality fish to start with

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
i have kept angels in a ph of 7-7.5 for a good 10 years. no prob. the only time its a big prob is if they are wilds and yes those need low ph. most angels now do not requite the low ph like they did years ago. but yes the key is to get good quality fish to start with
Agreed, most breed angels will do fine with high ph, mine are in 7.8-8ph and are doing great! GL finding a breeder and great beautiful fish to have.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Sift through Aquabid auctions. There's a handful of quality breeders there, and there's also a few that aren't. The Feedback scores are really good indicators of what they sell and how they do business.

But I think you need to step back a bit and try and understand what went wrong. Learning how to deal with intestinal parasites and bacteria is key to long term success with them.

As others have mentioned, Ph isn't an issue with captive bred angels. Imported fish from box stores and LFS will have major Ph adjustment issues as well as stress issues from being in the wholesale supply chain.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I am operating on beginners luck. Started a new tank a year ago with the intension of keeping Angles. I have a community planted 120. I have six Angles that I got from a breeder through the mail, FedX actually. They share the thank with a dozen Tetras, four Corys, and a couple of Ottos. pH is normally 7.0-7.5, temp 76-79, 50% water changes each 2-3 weeks, params stay 0/0/10-30. Fish seem happy.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Many of us do all right with angels in high PH, hard water. Mine bred fine in 7.8- 8.0 so that may not be the problem for you. Bit of advise to take or leave? How about trying it with less stress on the water being correct but just leave it at what it is so that it will be steady? I find steady is fra better than any time I try to adjust and let it jerk up and down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks that may be better than the stress on me but how long to aclimate from water that in 7.0 range. I add 60cc every 20 minuets for about an hour.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It sounds like you had trouble with angels before. When you get the new angels, are they going into the same tank you had trouble in before? If they are, I wouldn't do that. If you want to use the same tank, I would dismantle it, sterilize it, fishless cycle it, and then add the new fish. If you dont, you risk re-infecting the new fish with whatever was the problem with the old fish.

Angels are not as sensitive as discus, but can be more involved than other fish. It's very important to start off with good stock. If you don't the odds are, you'll have trouble. I would not buy angels from the LFS. Do a search for angel breeders, you'll find a few. Angels Plus is supposed to be good, Mellow Aquatics is supposed to be good too. But yea the breeder is the key.

Figure out how many angels you want(at least 10 gallons per fish, 15 gallons per fish is better), and buy all the angels at the same time, all the same size, and all from the same breeder. If you mix fish from different breeders, they bring different pathogens with them, and that can cause you problems. Once you have the fish, put them in the tank, alone, and quarantine for at least 3 months. During the quarantine don't add any other fish to the tank. Quarantine is very important, and yes it takes 3 months. If you notice any problems, it will extend your quarantine even longer.

The ph number is not as important as it being constant. Mine are at 8.2 and are fine. Whatever your ph is out the tap, don't change it. Unless you go RO/DI leave your ph alone, whatever it is out of the tap leave it there. Otherwise you will always have to adjust it when you do water changes. This can be a problem once you start doing the ph dance. Oh, if you get altums, then yes you will have to drop the ph. Otherwise forget ph.

Water changes. Ok for me water changes are the key to the whole thing. Frequent huge water changes are the way to go. Forget this 10-20% idea. Big water changes are what angels like. At least 50%. I pull off all but about 3 inches of water. Just enough so the fish can still be vertical. Change your water at least weekly. At first you might have to do 2-3 changes per week. It will depend on what your parameters come out to be. Angels will not tolerate nitrates. 5-10 ppm is about their limit.

Feed with high protein high quality food. Angels Plus has very good food. Get a variety of foods. Don't just feed one thing all the time, they need variety. Feed 2-3 times per day. Angel fish have a decent body mass, and they are kept at warmer temps, so their metabolism is revved up.

Keep their water temp above 80f. If you keep them cooler, you'll lower their immune system. This is important, especially during the quarantine.

Read up on how to acclimate your fish when you get them. Read up on the pros and cons of drop and plop school of thought vs the slow drip method. Figure out what makes sense to you.

Good luck with the new fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts