The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sick Zebra Loach... what is it please?

I only have two and the other one died last week. Pics taken last night.. looks worse tonight!

He has no energy.. just loafs around motionless at the bottom on the tank

Parameters are:
Co2
EI dosing
Planted tank
400l
UV TMC V2
FX5 Filter

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
That looks like Flavobacterium columnarae, but look for more pictures of this disease and compare them with your fish.

This is a bacterial disease caused by a Gram negative bacteria. It seems to grow best when the nitrate is high, and when the temperature is high. It can be killed by antibiotics in the water, but is better treated if the fish are still eating and will eat some medicated food.
I would do lots of water changes, and emphasize vacuuming the floor of the tank. Many disease organisms are worse when the level of organics is higher, and many medicines work by latching onto almost anything organic in the tank. If they latch on to waste matter, then not enough medication is getting onto the disease organism.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like Flavobacterium columnarae, but look for more pictures of this disease and compare them with your fish.

This is a bacterial disease caused by a Gram negative bacteria. It seems to grow best when the nitrate is high, and when the temperature is high. It can be killed by antibiotics in the water, but is better treated if the fish are still eating and will eat some medicated food.
I would do lots of water changes, and emphasize vacuuming the floor of the tank. Many disease organisms are worse when the level of organics is higher, and many medicines work by latching onto almost anything organic in the tank. If they latch on to waste matter, then not enough medication is getting onto the disease organism.
Okay... got it, with thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One on my Krebs was sucking at the badness on the Loach so I put the loach into a small 10lt 'hospital tank' and added some Protozin.. hope this can help him..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts