The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden ram is sick.. The other 3 are fine, i do a daily 20% water change and parameters are good.

This ram has been lookig for low flow locations and drifting at the surface of the tank. Her coloration had been going downhill steadily aswel, the front of her head had been very white the past 2 days

here are some pictures:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0 no3
0 no2
7 ph
180 kh
120 gh
77f

Ps. I know my hardness is off the charts but these fish have been bred in this water hardness. So that aint it

The other ramq are fine aswel

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Are relatively short lived fish (approx. 3year's) could be just it's time?
Unless we purchase fry, or raise them from fry size,Is hard to say how old those offered at fish stores might be.
My best effort's with them were with mixture of tap water and R/O for my water was/is fairly hard.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are relatively short lived fish (approx. 3year's) could be just it's time?
Unless we purchase fry, or raise them from fry size,Is hard to say how old those offered at fish stores might be.
My best effort's with them were with mixture of tap water and R/O for my water was/is fairly hard.
thats too bad .. these fish are expensive here(15$ each..), i dont think its gonne last a lot longer, it keeps getting swept away by current even in the low current spots and its going belly up and sinking to the bottom now and then

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Can be a lot of different causes. How long have you had the rams? I am assuming 0 ammonia? What are other fish in the tank? Size of the tank?

Your Java Fern does not look it's best. I am pretty sure there are other not so good things going on in that tank. And rams are not the easiest of fish to keep in the first place.

Best of luck.

·
Ram Breeder
76 Posts
As was mentioned, Rams are not the easiest fish to raise, but they can be pretty hardy if you follow a few simple rules:

1) Water quality is extremely important. You're parameters look fine. Hardness would most likely not be an issue. Keep up with your water changes.

2) Water temperature is very important as well. I noticed that your temp is 77 degrees. That is at the very low end for Rams. Rams, like Discus, like to have the water temps somewhere between 82-86 degrees. All of our Rams are kept around 85 degrees. It's not that they won't live at colder temps, but they will not thrive. Weaker individuals will be more susceptible to secondary infections, such as Ich. In my opinion, that is why so many people (and pet shops) have so many Ich problems with Rams. The temps aren't warm enough for the fish. Just a warning: the warmer temps my not be tolerated by some species of plants you may have in your tanks, so be careful not to cause a different problem while trying to correct this one.

3) You didn't mention where you got them form, or how long you had them. Newer specimens will be stressed from the move, and coupled with the lower water temps, this could be part of your problem.

Depending on the other fish/plants you have in the tank, you may want to try raising the water temp to at least 82 degrees, with 84 being a better choice. It may be too late to save this fish, but it should help you keep the other Rams healthy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can be a lot of different causes. How long have you had the rams? I am assuming 0 ammonia? What are other fish in the tank? Size of the tank?

Your Java Fern does not look it's best. I am pretty sure there are other not so good things going on in that tank. And rams are not the easiest of fish to keep in the first place.

Best of luck.
yeah no ammonia, 100 liter aquarium, 10 corydoras and 3 SAE's and 3 other rams.
My Java ferns are having an issue of too much light :p...

Bump:
As was mentioned, Rams are not the easiest fish to raise, but they can be pretty hardy if you follow a few simple rules:

1) Water quality is extremely important. You're parameters look fine. Hardness would most likely not be an issue. Keep up with your water changes.

2) Water temperature is very important as well. I noticed that your temp is 77 degrees. That is at the very low end for Rams. Rams, like Discus, like to have the water temps somewhere between 82-86 degrees. All of our Rams are kept around 85 degrees. It's not that they won't live at colder temps, but they will not thrive. Weaker individuals will be more susceptible to secondary infections, such as Ich. In my opinion, that is why so many people (and pet shops) have so many Ich problems with Rams. The temps aren't warm enough for the fish. Just a warning: the warmer temps my not be tolerated by some species of plants you may have in your tanks, so be careful not to cause a different problem while trying to correct this one.

3) You didn't mention where you got them form, or how long you had them. Newer specimens will be stressed from the move, and coupled with the lower water temps, this could be part of your problem.

Depending on the other fish/plants you have in the tank, you may want to try raising the water temp to at least 82 degrees, with 84 being a better choice. It may be too late to save this fish, but it should help you keep the other Rams healthy.
i'll raise the temp, not to 82 though, my corries are gnne have serious issues with that i think, I hope it'll recover, its not looking good at all..
i've had them for about a month

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@matt13 long time

The tank is also overcrowded. That ram is gone, I'm afraid.
overcrowded...? what are you talking about lol xD... i've held up to 100 neons and 30 corries in tanks like that, its not anywhere close to being overcrowded :)

Overcrowded doesn't exist aslong as you can keep your water in a good quality and your fish arent experiencing stress, the tank looks very empty the way it is, its the least crowded tank i've ever had :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
overcrowded...? what are you talking about lol xD... i've held up to 100 neons and 30 corries in tanks like that, its not anywhere close to being overcrowded :)

Overcrowded doesn't exist aslong as you can keep your water in a good quality and your fish arent experiencing stress :)
You did the same thing in the thread asking about your java fern. You wanted advice, then argued that you knew better. If you know better, then why are you asking?

Number 1 killer of fish is stress. Your fish is sick, therefore stressed. It is also up for debate about good water quality as your plants wouldn't look like that, but that's a whole other issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You did the same thing in the thread asking about your java fern. You wanted advice, then argued that you knew better. If you know better, then why are you asking?

Number 1 killer of fish is stress. Your fish is sick, therefore stressed. It is also up for debate about good water quality as your plants wouldn't look like that, but that's a whole other issue.
lol xD dont be hurt because i questioned your idea about my plants :p anyway, I appreciate all the feedback, doesn't mean i cant look critically at it, does it now?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I do not know what cories you have or how old your SAE are or the tank dimensions.

What I do know is that you have 14 bottom dwellers in a 25g tank and that each ram wants it's own territory. True SAE get to 4"+ and get more onerous with age. Flying foxes and CAE are even more intolerant. This is why, to me, your current population is overcrowded. Your water changes are certainly a big plus, but keeping 50 schooling fish in a 25g is rather different from what you have now.

You have 0 N which means your plants are staving. Your Java Fern is dying and rotting. I see 3 types of algae in the tank. All of that means to me a tank in distress and in stress.

A picture or 2 of the entire tank would help.

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
271 Posts
LOL. The java fern have brown algae on them. They don't look like they are dying.

Here's my two cents. A tank's ability to hold fish and the fishes ability to be happy are very different by species and even individual. I have kept 300 red cherry shrimp in a 20 gallon tank with no problem. I have "overstocked" and "understocked" according to the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. The one thing I have found that rarely works well is being short on territory for aggressive fish. I currently have a 30 gallon tank. 2 cichlid males, a large pleco a cory and 2 siamenses. Technically overstocked now that my pleco has grown so much. Was understocked before. Pleco needs a cave, each male cichlid needs a cave. If I am short one cave, someone will get sick. They will pick at and stress each other. You may be able to keep water quality good, but there is more to giving them a "home" than just space and gallons. I actually have a half wall of java fern by the middle cave. My cichlids each take an end one, the pleco gets the middle. no matter how much I rearrange the tank they go to that housing set up. The cory and the siamenses may as well not exist in the equation, no one considers them an issue, they can rest their happy butts in the plants near anyone's cave or chill on the cave top. Knowing the behaviors of the fish is very important in building your little ecosystem. My siamensis would love your java fern by the way... all that algae, they'd have a field day. Not sure why yours aren't going to town. If you rub the algae off with your fingers they will probably devour it before it can hit the filter

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do always love these threads... especially when they start out I know that's wrong but that's not the problem.

So then when no one answers they come back and post, "really nothing".

When people do answer though they just say that's not it.

As has been stated, 99% of all fishes diseases are due to improper husbandry. This is even more true if you haven't recently introduced new stock.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm no botanist, so the name I can't tell you. I can tell you I have had it on my java ferns before. It rubs off, I used my fingers to clean the plants. My SAE loved the stuff. I went to a different light fixture, and between them getting wise to its existence, and the decrease in light... no more algae. If you look at the pictures closely you can even see some areas where it's hanging off the leaves a little.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I mean, c'mon, really? Would you pu that Fern in your tank?
Java Fern is an easy plant to keep alive but a pretty hard plant to grow well. A healthy clamp of Java Fern is gorgeous.

My hands-on experience with plants in that condition is rather limited.
LOL @ that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.