The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help out here... I have two true SAE's that I introduced to my tank to help with a BBA outbreak. They did a wonderful job by the way :)

I noticed today that one of them is rather large... I know their breeding habits are unknown, but he/she sure looks like it's a possiblity. The only thing is that I have been pretty busy lately and haven't had the chance to check in on all the fish, so I don't know if this something that's gradually happened or happend in the last 24 hours...

I came home today and this one was resting on top of a cave I have in the tank...

Below are some pictures. If you look at the middle one, you will see some redness past the pelvic fin...

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
bad news---not pregnant. Dropsy, which as I understand it is a symptom not an illness. From what Ive read, most fish die after they get dropsy. Good luck and sorry I dont have more useful info for you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I googled dropsy and that's pretty much it :( I have a guppy that's been showing similar symptoms the past 2 weeks, but she's been spitting out babies, so was hoping it wasn't anything more.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Looks like dropsy to me, altho this is the first time I've heard of an SAE having it. I think ou need to quarantine the SAE and the guppy and try treating them, altho the chances of recovery are very slim.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you have a quarantine tank available it would be worth it to move this fish out. If you don't, be ready to fish its corpse out. This is a fish you don't want your others eating if it dies. Euthanasia might be a better option than waiting, honestly, it's pretty rare that a fish survives dropsy, especially this bad.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Only cure I've heard is a change in diet that include garlic and increased salinity. Good luck though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.

I ended up euthanizing both fish. They didn't seem to be doing too well last night and figured it would be best for both of them. And hopefully prevent it from spreading to the other inhabitants.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I feed my fish NLS Thera + A for small fish, 1mm color inhancing pellets with garlic.

My fish have really good color and I have an old Krib with hole in the head and it's been reducing in size, the hole in the head, not the fish.

The food was a little pricey but well worth it. My male Cherry Barbs pop with color!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.