The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 neon in a school of eight that has a small white dot on each fin and is still at the surface like he is gasping for air...all the others are just fine.....should I move him to a sick tank and medicate him for ick or would the stress being away from the others kill him faster.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned off the co2 treated with ick meds and turned on an airstone....in the morning the sick fish is gone. I've looked for an hour. Starting to think my chinese algae eater or the ghost shrimp ate him. How far can these guys jump I've already looked on the floor around the base of the tank, should I widen the search area?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If he couldn't swim well chances are he didn't jump. I think the shimp and fish ate him. You need to keep medicating the tank though for about a week. Ich has I believe three different stages in life. A dormant cyst, larva free floating form, and then the actual paracite that attaches to the fish. Most people think that when they don't see them anymore they're good. They stop medicating and wonder why their fish have it again a couple days later. The issue is that you took care of the paracite and the free floating lava but you didn't kill the cyst which has hatched and is attacking you fish. So never cut the medication cycle short. Hopefully it wont get anymore fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.